What's YOUR range?

Maybe some of you can shed some light… Yesterday, I upgraded my antenna from an indoor magnetic base $10 antenna to the Flight Aware antenna. I installed the new antenna on a 15 ft. mast practically right outside the same window I had the smaller antenna in, so antenna is in the same geographic location, just 10 ft. higher than it was. Since switching antennas it seems that my range has decreased as well as the number of hits has gone down… how is this possible? I do have the blue flight aware stick which has the filter built in, so I’m certain that isn’t the issue.

Cable maybe? This is the cable I used: Amazon.com

I did run the cable along the same conduit that I have my security camera cables in… could that be causing interference; however, if so, I would have thought the filter would help that.

Any thoughts or ideals would be much appreciated!

@wmstapp
Wrong cable connector at dongle end. It is “RP-SMA” (no center pin). Should be “SMA” (has center pin)

YOTENKO Low Loss N Male to RP SMA Male Low Loss Antenna Coax Cable

41pVKAPc6jL.AC_SY400

2 Likes

Well… that’ll do it. I’m going to go kick myself a few times now.

Cheers!

1 Like

My south facing gaffer taped to window setup with a view of the sea gives 250NM+

Just wish I was not at the bottom of the hill!

1 Like

@wmstapp

You can temporarily use RP-SMA by inserting a small piece of thin wire in its ceter hole to act as the missing pin

RP-SMA Worksround

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.