What's Going on Here??

Tracking N915DW

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/3566/sh014re.jpg

:confused: ??

Thanks,
Chris

Looks like a VFR flight, so it shows up on the area map but not for the ident since we don’t know the origin or destination. The other indication of this is missing the aircraft type in the data block.

Okay, makes sense. Had me wondering. Oh well, nice site.

Looking forward to any future enhancements. :slight_smile:

Someone might check the track of LXJ609 (KADS/KTUS). On the minute-to-minute position track from 206PM to 215PM, there are double and triple postings. The map shows an apparent flight track between Tucson and Buffalo area.

As the topic says, “What’s Going on Here?”

Sometimes we get erroneous returns from some radar sites. Often they’re nearby (and the aircraft is just out of range), but sometimes they’re very far away.

In the case of that LearJet, one radar site was claiming the aircraft was at ~10000 feet over Arizona (correctly) while another radar site near New York was claiming the aircraft was at ~30000 feet (in error).

In the case of that LearJet, one radar site was claiming the aircraft was at ~10000 feet over Arizona (correctly) while another radar site near New York was claiming the aircraft was at ~30000 feet (in error).

I understand that faulty data input will typically result in faulty results output. However, can you help me understand how that New York radar site acquired erroneous data in the first place. Where did it come from?

Moving into the realm of unsupported speculation, it could have been confusion in the system due to someone in that area using the same transponder code, or some bizzare ionosphere reflection of the transponder signal, or aliens.

… or aliens.

Aliens? I like that. :smiley: An “undocumented” problem, of course!

By the way, how long is the delay of info? 15 minutes? 20?

I saw a NWA flight track at a good distance north of the airport, but heard it on the scanner getting cleared to land. I know the routes very well, so it had some way to go before getting any clearance to land.

The delay is approximately 5 to 6 minutes.

Could the same be expected if a flight cancels or activates a “present position via” IFR?

No, those should be handled normally. See these FAQ questions:

How does FlightAware handle pop-up IFR flights?
What happens if an aircraft cancels an IFR flight plan en-route or prior to arrival?