What is the farthest distance (NM) the aircraft emits the ADSB signal?

Friends, I want to ask, does anyone here know the maximum range of aircraft transponders in transmitting ADS-B signals? because I need this theoretical explanation about ADS-B for my thesis

If by theoretical explanation you mean a link budget, there are link budgets in this ITU document for satellite ADS-B links. https://www.itu.int/pub/R-REP-M.2413

Also, there is a long thread on here for range of terrestrial ADS-B .
https://discussions.flightaware.com/t/what-is-the-maximum-range-i-can-get/17248

Edit to add: In the last two posts of the above thread I calculated a link budget of a terrestrial ADS-B link.

2 Likes

Theoretical explsnation & formuls are here:

https://discussions.flightaware.com/t/antenna-height-question/19510/4

2 Likes

This may also help:

https://discussions.flightaware.com/t/antenna-height-increased-but-range-doesnt/31491/4

1 Like

Are you talking about real world conditions or theoretical free space, flat earth conditions using aerials made from unobtanium?

5 Likes

:rofl:

(20 characters)

1 Like

Everyone has his own interpretition of “theoretical”.

My interoretation of theoretical is given below:

1 Like

Awesome. Another future “Dr.” that doesn’t know how to use a search engine?

2 Likes

Maybe it’s for an MS degree. Also, some of the information you find on-line is wrong.

1 Like

Of course, range also goes out the window when you add local conditions as well. My graphs show my maximum range has been nearly 500nm.

@taniaachiever I hope you’ll be providing a link to this site and citing @abcd567 for his theoretical background in your thesis and including me for reminding you that unobtanium is the best material to build aerials with.

2 Likes

True.It all comes down to the C/N you get at a receiver, where N is the noise from all sources.

That’s because as with many other things, there is a disparity between the use of the term by lay people and scientists. A theory in science is something which has been thoroughly tested as an explanation for a particular phenomenon. It is as close to science fact as you can get. In every day use, people often take it to mean something far less rigorous.

You often see people say things like ‘it’s only a theory’, but really the difference between observed phenomenon and something which is theoretical is often due to imprecise measurement, or the neglecting of some relevant factor or other. In their mind, this makes the theory less valid, when it should be the other way round. By the time something is called a theory, observed disagreements with it are usually down to that imprecision. Usually that is not a problem, because a close approximation is all that is necessary - case in point, the moon landings were conducted using Newtonian mechanics when special relativity is a much more complete description of motion. The extra precision just wasn’t needed.

Your example is good enough for an approximation of range, because it covers line of sight visibility. There are also other factors such as diffraction, scattering, tropospheric ducting and other atmospheric effects.

The reason I raise this is because @taniaachiever says they are writing a thesis - depending on what it is intended to cover, they might end up going down a rabbit hole of some quite complicated physics. If the focus is less on the academic side of radio propagation and more on the practical application of radio engineering to this particular feature of aviation, then empirical data and observation may well suffice.

3 Likes

This is all a theory :rofl:

Which is why I said ‘flat earth’ as a theoretical thing. Without the earth getting in the way, the RF would go a lot further :slight_smile:

I suppose the actual simple answer to the original question is “around 240nm” under normal real world conditions.

2 Likes

For a terrestrial link. For a satellite link, depending on antennas, it can be much farther.

There is always an xkcd: xkcd: Experiment

1 Like

The obvious practical example here is the Aireon payloads on Iridium NEXT which are in a ~780km low earth orbit and can reliably see ADS-B (at least from top antennas) all the way down to the surface.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.