Using on a Mac?

I have just done all of that and I am STILL getting:

./rtl_test
Found 1 device(s):
0: Generic RTL2832U (e.g. hama nano)

Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U (e.g. hama nano)
Failed to open rtlsdr device #0.

I tried this…

port install sox

and…

zsh: command not found: port

https://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.macports.html

GOT IT!!!

After recompiling it the symlink (?) did not update. I deleted that and booya!

Thank you! Now I get to wait 24-hours for my blood pressure to go down…

2 Likes

Good work! You’ve learned from it as well.

Bit trollish there.

:+1: :+1: :+1:

That is why I hate Mac and iPhone. Both are too restrictive, although otherwise these are a good computer/phone.

1 Like

Not sure why you’re resurrecting this after three years, but anyway my 2 cents – on another thread, I mentioned that I couldn’t get dump1090-fa to compile correctly on the latest macOS (Ventura). However I previously compiled it and had it running along with the local map display on macOS Monterey about a year ago. Course it didn’t have piaware and feed FlightAware, it was just for local display. But why would you want to use a desktop/laptop/whatever to run 24/7 considering the power consumption? That’s why we have things like Raspberry Pi’s.

As far as support for an RPi with piaware, you can run ssh on a Mac from the terminal (you don’t need PuTTY), you can edit the micro sd card boot partition on a Mac, etc the same as with Linux or Windows. So, no limitation there.

Because that’s a Linux SD card. You can’t do any of that in native MacOS, you can’t even see the pictures on a phone, like you can see when connect an Android phone to a PC. You need a supplement junky software made by Apple for Windows to even attempt that, and it is buggy and slow.