United Airlines ordered this weird Aircraft

Today United Airlines announced that they ordered This weird airplane

I don’t know the name of airplane but it looks amazing

What do you see “weird” on that aircraft?

It’s a Heart ES-19 electrified aircraft with a range of 250 km

https://heartaerospace.com/

1 Like

So United goes from Supersonic to Turboprop huh? I mean electric Turboprop huh? They should build electric Supersonic planes but maybe that’s asking for too much.

1 Like

Those two are complete different aircraft and complete different target group. And United does not build any aircraft. They are just checking what the market offers.

I do not believe in a strong market for supersonic aircraft. This was tried several times after the Concorde (which was also under question regarding efficiency).

these are prestige projects where nobody is asking about efficiency.
Elextric aircraft might have a future at least for short range flights between smaller airports

1 Like

I know but it’s kinda controversial and interesting as what United’s mind is really up to. In this modern-age, I do know fuel efficiency is important but it’s better to rather combine the two because if the Overture does get successful, it’s makes little sense to still have a turboprop besides short-haul routes as jet aircraft are already mostly taking over. Electric Supersonic aircraft is just a suggestion for efficiency.

1 Like

That was just a typo that United builds aircraft. Whoops!

1 Like

I would expect that this approach is currently way to challenging. Maybe in +50 years once the fuel cells are more efficient.

Nobody needs a supersonic aircraft with 100 miles range only That’s inefficient and useless

In Europe there are many airlines still operating turboprops (Dash-8, ATR-72 etc). I think they have a good reason for it.

1 Like

Even I stated for Fuel-efficiency and short-haul routes

1 Like

They might as well buy a C-130 at this point

1 Like

Yeah I agree with you

1 Like

How long would it take that aircraft to charge up between flights? Compared to a fuel powered plane I think the electric one would have much longer turnaround time.

According to their FAQ, 40 minutes.
https://heartaerospace.com/faq/

1 Like

Much quicker than I thought.

1 Like