Uat / tis-b

I’ve had my UAT receiver up for roughly a week now and recently changed over to the orange flightaware dongle. Doing so my range doubled and at times can see aircraft on UAT anywhere to 75-100 miles in each direction. I’ve noticed i’m picking up a lot of “TIS-B” traffic and wondering how this is different then UAT. From my research I’m less than 10 miles (as the crow flies) from a TIS-B Tower located in Kenly, NC. Can I assume i’m seeing traffic being rebroadcasted by this tower since the TIS-B traffic comes and go’s throughout the day?

FWIW I’ve also been picking up F15e Fighter Jets from Seymour Johnson AFB on TIS-B

Screenshot_2019-04-15%20PiAware%20UAT978%20Site%20-%204%204

Yes, TIS-B is from a ground station. This is traffic data sent for conspicuity reasons so that 1090MHz aircraft are visible to aircraft that only have 978MHz in. You’ll typically see two types of TIS-B:

• data from an aircraft with 1090MHz ADS-B out, e.g. N22593 in your screenshot, being rebroadcast by the ground station on 978MHz (i.e. ADS-R)
  • radar tracks e.g. all the 278xxx addresses (note the italics - these are not ICAO addresses)

In theory Mode S radar tracks could turn up as TIS-B with an ICAO address, but in practice this doesn’t seem to happen, they turn up without the ICAO address.

TIS-B is usually only sent when there’s something around to hear it (i.e. something nearby with 978 in + out).

2 Likes

It is weird, every now and then I get TIS-B with proper ICAO addresses.

I saw some JetBlue or DHL today on UAT as TIS-B.

2 Likes

OK Thanks, The italic codes were confirmed F15’s from SJAFB, so that would make since.

Yes I get “big” aircraft showing up with proper data on UAT, I’ve identified several helicopters and a few smaller commercial aircraft that are running dual ADS-B and UAT out. What is interesting is I usually pick up the UAT beacon at a lower altitude then I do 1090 ADS-B.

1 Like

UAT does have a slightly longer wavelength. It would allow for better low level range(it bends better).
It could also be antenna design or placement.

I caught a few big ones in UAT a minute ago

1 Like

I know I’m an old goat in this hanger but can someone please direct me to the link to download the new UAT version of PiAware?

Thanks guys.

Thank you sir. I guess it was the format of this message board that was making it hard to find.

1 Like

My 978 UAT system has been active much of this year. It shows traffic out to tens of miles for low flying aircraft and occasionally beyond 100 nmi for higher-flying planes.

What I rarely see is TIS-B data from the local ground station(s), one of which is within line-of-sight about 6nmi away. When I do get TIS-B it is a solid data stream.

The TIS-B is rebroadcast data for aircraft which have only UAT for ADS-B in. I have read the rebroadcast is only for aircraft in the vicinity of the UAT-only airplane.

Is there any way to identify which airborne UAT source is the “trigger” for the TIS-B rebroadcast?

In this screen shot there’s only one likely airborne “trigger” aircraft. It is categorized as “other.” But it is too far away to justify the on-ground airplanes.

There’s nothing in the transmitted messages that would identify the triggering aircraft. The exact details of the decision about what TIS-B to send are fairly opaque - it’s whatever the FAA’s ground systems decide to send. Possibly you just can’t see the triggering aircraft directly.

There is some documentation here: https://www.faa.gov/Nextgen/equipadsb/capabilities/ins_outs/ (see “How do I receive ADS-B In Traffic Services and what do I see today?”) but I’m not sure how far it reflects reality:

[…] using the client’s ADS-B Out position information it creates a “hockey puck” around the aircraft. The “hockey puck” is 30 nm in diameter and +/- 3,500 ft. Any “not-on-the-same ADS-B Link” aircraft that falls within the “hockey puck” will be transmitted via ADS-R on the appropriate ADS-B In link to the “client” aircraft. Similarly, any non-ADS-B Out Transponder equipped aircraft within the “client” aircrafts hockeypuck will be transmitted via TIS-B on the appropriate ADS-B In link.

(In the above example, if you’re considering AD3F30 as the possible trigger, this seems unlikely to be a direct transmission - it’s 100NM away at 1000ft, I doubt you can hear that directly - possibly it’s skyaware mis-coloring what was received and that’s actually ADS-R)

2 Likes