Trim the Antenna?

Sad to hear this. May be one day you will find a solution.

Performance Graphs/Web Portal installed by automated installation script by J Prochazka:

ADS-B Receiver Project Setup Scripts

On the skyview map
Messages/sec
Number of Aircrafts
On map, with the help of 3 circles (at 100, 150, and 200 nm), you can estimate mximum distance you get an aircraft

If you install Performance Graphs (Web Portal) by J Prochazka’s automated install scripts, you can get many graphs giving signal info from your Pi.

Wow, thank you this is super helpful. I’ll give the scripts a try next weekend, I’d love to see all that detailed info.

Okay, so first I just wanted to say thanks to all of you for your help. This is a really nice community and I’m glad to be here.

An update about my project. I had some time to tinker this weekend and I tried various cans of different sizes as well as various locations in my house and the metal security bars around my window. I’m petty limited as to where I can install, but figured it was still worth a shot.

I finally settled on a small coffee can, sitting on top of a larger soup can and finally resting on the plastic lid of the oat can. I tired the cans alone and in various arrangements and this is by far the best.

I’ve seen massive improvement in both my overall range as well as how long I’m able to track specific planes. I would hazard a guess that, considering my location and available resources, this is about as good as it’ll ever get, which I’m pretty happy with.

I attached a photo of the setup as well as before and after screenshots from my coverage graph.

Thanks again!

3 Likes

2 Likes

I’m loving the OL3 html range feature. I leave it running until it doesn’t change any further, screenshot it, move the antenna, reset the range and start over. I can then compare the resulting ranges.