Track Aircraft by Registration

Hi,

I have been trying to track the aircraft N3752 and CGNJZ , but it doesn`t work.

Did I do something wrong or are they blocked? :confused:

If it was blocked, it would say was blocked when you searched for them. I suspect the tail number doesn’t exist or they have never filed an IFR flight plan. :slight_smile:

Welcome to FA.

N3752 is a 737 registered to Delta Airlines. Commercial aircraft aren’t tracked by their registrations, they’re tracked by their flight numbers. Same goes for C-GNJZ which is an Air Canada Jazz CL-600.

Hi,

I don`t have a flight number. I took a picture of C-GNJZ this summer and have been using it as a desktop wallpaper since then.

Now I was wondering where it is at the time. So is there a way to track a certain aircraft without the flight number(the flight number changes with every new destination, so it isn`t of much use for my purpose)

Not really. You might pick it up from some ACARS sites (search the forum for an explanation), but those wouldn’t be real time either.

We really are trying to be helpful, but as I said previously, commercial aircraft aren’t tracked by their registrations, they’re tracked by their flight numbers. The aircraft you’re interested in tracking could be flying on any route within an airline’s system on any given day (within reason!).

So the tail# option is for private aircraft only? I guess military movements wont be trackable either. :confused:

Read the FAQs.

From today’s ACARS Report:

ACARS mode: 2 Aircraft reg: **C-GNJZ **[Canadair CRJ7]
Message label: H1 Block id: 4 Msg no: C06A
**Flight id: QK8275 ] Jazz by Air Canada]
Message content:-
#CFBPAGE 00001 MDC REPORT: ENGINE TREND WRITE OPTION: CURRENT LEG FILENAME: AC15052E.ETD
TIME: 03:53 DATE: 09Jan2009 **MDC APPLICATION PN: 832-6207-410 MDC TABLES PN: 8100042111.2

1. Go to the ACARS Database Search
  2. In the “Aircraft registration” field, type in: C-GNJZ
  3. In the “Year / Month / Day” field, Enter today’s date
  4. Click the “Start ACARS Search” button

Plugging in “Air Canada” and flight number “8275” in the flight tracker results in JAZZ 275 (Edmonton Int’l to Vancouver)

From AIR CANADA’S Web site

Flight Number: AC8275 
Operated by Air Canada Jazz 

Departure                       Arrival 
Airport: Edmonton (YEG)         Airport: Vancouver (YVR) 
Date: Fri 09-Jan 2009           Date: Fri 09-Jan 2009 
Scheduled Time: 18:55           Scheduled Time: 19:30 

Terminal: -  Terminal: M  

Hi,

I get to this step:

#CFBPAGE 00001 MDC REPORT: ENGINE TREND WRITE OPTION: CURRENT LEG FILENAME: AC15052E.ETD TIME: 03:53 DATE: 09Jan2009 MDC APPLICATION PN: 832-6207-410 MDC TABLES PN: 8100042111.2

I let it sit for 20minutes and nothing changed. What do I have to do now?

ACARS mode: 2 Aircraft reg: **C-GNJZ [Canadair CRJ7]
Message label: H1 Block id: 4 Msg no: C06A
Flight id: QK8275 ] Jazz by Air Canada]
Message content:-
#CFBPAGE 00001 MDC REPORT: ENGINE TREND WRITE OPTION: CURRENT LEG FILENAME: AC15052E.ETD
TIME: 03:53 DATE: 09Jan2009 **MDC APPLICATION PN: 832-6207-410 MDC TABLES PN: 8100042111.2

Plugging in “Air Canada” and flight number “8275” in the FLIGHT TRACKER results in JAZZ 275 (Edmonton Int’l to Vancouver)

Hi,

thank you very much! :smiley:

Y’betch’a!

I just have one more question:

As far as I understand ACARS are data packages sent from the aircraft to the ground. So how come I get flight numbers in advance? C-GNJZ for example is only departing in about 4h. How can the flight information be picked up if it isnt in the air yet? And isnt 4h a quite long stop over for a small regional jet? Air Canadas 777 usually dont stay at FRA longer than 1-1,5h and it isn`t the typicall time of day for maintenance work?

How ACARS works.

Yes and no.

For the vast majority of non-airline flights, the tail number is used. However, for an operator who operates several flights a week, a call sign is issued by the FAA or other aviation authorities. This includes companies such as Walmart (CGG), NetJets (EJA), University of North Dakota (NDU), and others that operate many flights.

In the case of NetJets and many other fractional operators and charter companies, many times the flight ID is the callsign (e.g. EJA) followed by the digits in tail number (e.g. 905 for N905QS).

You’re completely misunderstanding. Just because C-GNJZ operated the 8275 flight on one day doesn’t mean that it will operate it every day, and in fact very rarely do.

Quite simply, through public means there’s no way to achieve the registration for the vast majority of airline flights in advance nor during its flight. There are a few exceptions to this but none of them would work for the aircraft you’re wanting to track.

You’re completely misunderstanding. Just because C-GNJZ operated the 8275 flight on one day doesn’t mean that it will operate it every day, and in fact very rarely do.

I never wrote that. Of course an aircraft operates diffrent flights all the time.

Quite simply, through public means there’s no way to achieve the registration for the vast majority of airline flights in advance nor during its flight.

Works fine for me with ACARS!