Thoughts on optimizing gain

Haha, ok. Well, it looks like somehow runnning the graph install script is updating a lot of things. I don’t know if the PI will even be running the same version once it’s done. I saw it installing kernels and everything. Dont worry, if that’s the case Ill just start from scratch. I have an Odroid N2 coming and some 978 supporting equipment coming. So if something boogers, It’s not going to bother me.

But if all goes well, patience is hard to find around here – I’ll have to find something else to occupy my time for a day LOL.

Mike

Followed your instructions to the letter and my graph looks nothing like yours…
Debian Stretch (x86_64), airspy mini, configured properly, your version of the graphs.

Ok. I’ll work on it some more later on this evening. Can you take a look at this and tell me if it’s what you would expect to normally occur? I swear i keep my piaware up to date, but maybe it was out of date and I didn’t know it.

https://airwaves.ovscan.com/images/w.txt

Thanks for all the work you do and help that you provide.

Mike

That URL doesn’t show anything.

I’m sorry. I moved it to https://airwaves.ovscan.com/w.txt

Yes, very interesting indeed :smile:
Files exists and have data in them.
Not sure if the data is correct though…
It looks mostly like this:
1561333500 0,0000000000e+00
or
1561334400 6,3951111111e+01
or
4,5611111111e+00 0,0000000000e+00 6,3951111111e+01
:man_shrugging:

Ok, understood. I guess I should have realized that the piaware image may be far behind the real Jessie distro. Thanks for taking a peak. I’ll work on getting things working tonight and then will attempt to wait patiently for a day while stats gather.

Mike

Oh the commas are the problem.
Not sure why rrdtool would use commas, probably because of your locale.

The jessie sd-card image had an initramfs that caused problems when updating.
I would have thought a simple apt upgrade wouldn’t trigger that problem.

If the RPi still reboots then you can just continue using it until you find time to upgrade to a newer sd-card image.

1 Like

Probably. Running with “sv_SE.UTF-8”, so that’s probably why.
Is it possible to change locale in the script, don’t want to change system-wide since I’m not sure if it will break other things on the system…

If you add:

set decimalsign locale "<localename>"

to the script for gnuplot it will use the appropriate symbol. The one I posted before apparently is the old command that only affects output. This should change input as well.

1 Like

Now I got something more similar to yours. Very linear…

Not enough traffic to saturate anything.

Looking at your FA stats i wonder though if your gain might be set a little high.

1 Like

Been experimenting quite a lot with the gain. My problem is that I have very few close-by aircrafts due to my location. Dropping the gain below 19 makes a negative impact on the daily total since I have a couple of major “airways” at 200+ Nm (to and from Helsinki and St Petersburg and Europe ↔ Asia). The large bulk of aircrafts is, as shown by the stats, 80-160 Nm from my location (Arlanda Airport, Oslo, some traffic to Helsinki).
I’m trying to catch as many distant aircrafts as possible since they are far more than close-by aircrafts (few private airfields and intercontinetal flights). The topography also limits my reception to the west, making me miss out on many flights to/from Oslo…
The screenshot is 10-15 minutes old:

Somehow when looking at your profile i thought you were somewhere in the UK.
No need to explain we discussed your trees at length but it seems my brain didn’t want to save that information or only reveal it now :wink:

1 Like

I would not turn down a house in the south of UK, right at the cliffs of Dover with a 30m mast and an antenna on top :grin:
Perhaps I can climb a pine tree and mount an antenna. I have some really tall ones on my land :laughing:

Did a quick test and dropped the gain to 18 (from 21) for 15 minutes. Lost 40% of the aircrafts and 50% of the message rate. It’s not quite as severe during the day, but still significantly lower.
The airspy performs much better than the FA Pro+ stick under similar conditions at my location…

Airspy mini or Airspy R2?

Mini. Nice little piece of hardware. Not the cheapest, but very capable and well performing, especially with the rtl-sdr tripple-filtered LNA.

Week plot