Thoughts on optimizing gain

Check your maximum range versus this:
What is the Maximum Range I can Get?

That you need to reduce gain is not an indication that an LNA at the antenna wouldn’t improve reception.
As you need a bias-t anyway to supply the LNA with power via the coax, i’d just buy the rtl-sdr LNA.
It’s proven to perform a little better than the uputronics (at least without an additional cavity filter on the input).
New Product: RTL-SDR Blog 1090 MHz ADS-B LNA
bias-t for putting power into the coax: Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles & More | eBay

With your current cable you’ll need some adapters from N to SMA and then back from SMA to N to interface with the antenna/cable.

You could always go for the really expensive and really reliable option: KU LNA 1090-2 A TM, Selective Low Noise Amplifier - Kuhne Electronic Amateur Radio Shop

Has N connectors, so that’s a plus :wink:

Anyhow i’d expect the rtl-sdr LNA to be just fine in a weatherproof box.
Giving the box a little shade won’t hurt if you can manage with an extra piece of plastic or something.

With an LNA you’ll have to reduce the gain significantly on the prostick+, but that’s not an issue really.
The signal will at no point in the signal chain be as weak as it was before, which is a should improve range if you aren’t already limited by terrain.