Thanks abcd567

abcd567

Thanks for the amp suggestions. All the pieces came in today and hooked them up I am getting flights 250-300km away now.

weatherserver.net:8888/Virtu … ktop.html#

One thing I got this power inserter it was one you linked too amazon.com/PCT-Inserter-MPI- … r+Inserter but it says 5 to 1002mhz. ADS-B is 1090mhz is that going to cause any issues.

Also do I need to get one of those 1090 filters?

The now image is still growing as well I can get far past Ottawa now. But the coverage to the west still sucks but if you get a topo map of ontario to my west are the high points.

I think I will try a cantenna at ground level on the weekend and see what happens.

2nd image I had to zoom out to get it all so it may look the same if you look at the cities before and after you will see the difference.

Before
http://imgur.com/CEJ6ssW.png

Now
http://imgur.com/JqeIWeW.png

The limit of maximum range at any location is terrain based. Even the best possible equipment (antenna, receiver, amplifier, cable) cannot increase this limit.

The first step is to determin what maximum you can get
Second step is to compare it with what you are actually getting.
Third step is to improve your system if what you are getting is substantially less than what could you possibly get.

To determine what can you possibly get, please see this post:

What is the Maximum Range I can Get?

Since I dont know your exact latitude/longitude, I have done this exercise for city center of Pembroke, and result are in the map below (blue curve)

As I see from heywhatsthat.com plot of Penbroke, range is nearly circular ranging 200 to 250 nautical miles (400 to 450 kms) in all directions. You should be able t reach up to Montreal in East , and Toronto in South-West. It seems that something is blocking your reception in West direction. Possibilities include:
(1) Man made structures like neighbor’s houses. Your antenna may be lower than the roof line of your west side neighbor.
(2) Nearby tall buildings.
(3) High trees.
(4) Your antenna is not true omnidirectional.

Temporarily replace your antenna by a truly omnidirectional antenna like Cantenna or Spider to find if the non equal ranges in east and west are because of some obstruction in west, or is because of antenna.

GREAT, CONGRATULATIONS!

One thing I got this power inserter it was one you linked too amazon.com/PCT-Inserter-MPI- … r+Inserter but it says 5 to 1002mhz. ADS-B is 1090mhz is that going to cause any issues.

The upper cut-off frequency is given as 1002 MHz, but generally cut-off is not very sharp or abrupt, and it should be ok for 1090 MHz.

Also do I need to get one of those 1090 filters?

Only if there is a strong signal source nearby like a cell phone tower. Otherwise it is a waste.