Tell me what this is...

flightaware.com/photos/view/1473 … ate/page/1%between% I have seen on several pics. I don’t know if it is the camera or what?

Vapor compression vortices.

It’s the camera - a longer than usual exposure.

There was just a thread about airliners with similar vapor trails on the wings. I can’t find it at the moment but look around for it.

It’s not an exposure issue (the background would be blurry), you can see the same with the naked eye.

one ugly airplane?

no such thing

“You Lie!” - Rep. Joe Wilson (R)

:wink:

OK… :unamused:

Just go to the “Fugliest” airplanes thread and tell me there isn’t one in there that NOT ugly. Comon… :unamused:

no such thing

Just go to the “Fugliest” airplanes thread and tell me there isn’t one in there that NOT ugly. Comon… :unamused:

Don’t care, if it can fly, i like it.

OK, you guys are right. I took a look at the fugliest thread. :open_mouth:

ROFL… :laughing:

I know, its hard to think someone created those…

So I take it you’ve changed your mind about there not being an ugly airplane?

Yup, I said you’re right. Although, I don’t think all of those are down right ugly. Some are just strange and others…the designers must still be wearing bell bottom pants and pin stripe jackets, no fashion sense. How the hell does that box with 2 x 6 planks for wings fly?

No clue my friend, I wouldn’t even put my son’s GI-Joes in that thing.

The first response to this thread is correct.

The tips of the prop blades are traveling so fast through the air (supersonic sometimes) that their frictional masses are compressing and heating the ambient air to the temperature needed (dew point) to create a cloud or vapor. It happens frequently in warm humid locations. I’ve actually seen it happen once on T/O in a PA34 back when I was flying in FL. Normal sight in the hot humid South. :smiley:

its not the camera, its not longer than usual exposure, every other part of the plane is in sharp focus, and the background was in focus too, so he didnt pan the camera with the plane.

Thank ya’ll. Good picture of Fat Albert, I am going to see the Angels on October 31st. It is supposed to be one of the last JATO takeoff I think?

Heating air tends to increase the amount of water vapor it can hold, not cause the vapor to condense. The vortices are the result of the pressure being reduced.

Air is compressible, water is not. As the saturated air is compressed by the prop it sheds its moisture load, hence the visible vapor vortices.

Eatsleepjeep is correct. The visible vortex only appears at the tip, where the compressed air behind the propeller encounters the ambient air, causing a rapid expansion.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wingtip_vortices

Don’t forget, a propeller is an airfoil. (wing)

The same effect can be visible on the top surface of the entire wing during certain atmospheric conditions, notably a very narrow temp/dewpoint spread, so the effect is definitely caused by a low pressure.

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/7/8/2/0807287.jpg