Tailbeacon Anonymous Mode

Hello, unless I need flight following or entering C/B space I always use the “anonymous mode” enabled on my ADSB Out Tailbeacon. But I see that Flightaware has the track of several of my last flights–but not all.

How does it do this?

Many thanks!

Would be mostly a question of “what’s being transmitted?”. Maybe you’re still transmitting an ident in anon mode, even if the address is randomized. I can take a look at the raw data given a tail number and an approximate timeframe (PM me the details if you prefer)

Thank you! N9906T, a flight. From KXSA to KMRB about 920 AM Sun 31 May arriving about 1020

The Tailbeacon was set to anonymous. Verified on previous flights using a ADSB receiver.

Hank Rausch

For that flight, we received ADS-B data via UAT that included an ident/callisign of N9906T and an ICAO address of ADD5DF, which is N9906T’s regular address … i.e., there was no sign of anonymization happening. We also heard similar data via ADS-R on 1090MHz.

2 Likes

Roger many thanks for looking at that I guess the anonymous feature works for displays with something like a Stratux but not otherwise.

Well, Stratux is running similar code to the Piaware receivers that collect our UAT data (they share a common ancestor) so I’d expect it to behave similarly… I suspect it might be a config error on the tailbeacon.

(I vaguely remember there’s a requirement somewhere in UAT that anon vs public mode can’t be changed after poweron, maybe you’re getting bitten by that?)

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.