FlightAware Discussions

Tailbeacon Anonymous Mode

Hello, unless I need flight following or entering C/B space I always use the “anonymous mode” enabled on my ADSB Out Tailbeacon. But I see that Flightaware has the track of several of my last flights–but not all.

How does it do this?

Many thanks!

Would be mostly a question of “what’s being transmitted?”. Maybe you’re still transmitting an ident in anon mode, even if the address is randomized. I can take a look at the raw data given a tail number and an approximate timeframe (PM me the details if you prefer)

Thank you! N9906T, a flight. From KXSA to KMRB about 920 AM Sun 31 May arriving about 1020

The Tailbeacon was set to anonymous. Verified on previous flights using a ADSB receiver.

Hank Rausch

For that flight, we received ADS-B data via UAT that included an ident/callisign of N9906T and an ICAO address of ADD5DF, which is N9906T’s regular address … i.e., there was no sign of anonymization happening. We also heard similar data via ADS-R on 1090MHz.

2 Likes

Roger many thanks for looking at that I guess the anonymous feature works for displays with something like a Stratux but not otherwise.

Well, Stratux is running similar code to the Piaware receivers that collect our UAT data (they share a common ancestor) so I’d expect it to behave similarly… I suspect it might be a config error on the tailbeacon.

(I vaguely remember there’s a requirement somewhere in UAT that anon vs public mode can’t be changed after poweron, maybe you’re getting bitten by that?)