I have a strange situation happening with my antenna.
I have the FA antenna mounted on the roof top. In the beggining i tried mounting it on a metallic post (at the very end of course).
I noticed that most of the times the performance was very poor and it actually varied a lot during the day. (from 60-80 messages /sec up to 250 messagesfor the same number of flights).
I tried to investigate what the issue is and realized that whenever i dismounted the mast from the wall and hold it in my hands, the messages/sec as well as the number of flights skyrocketed. It went from 30 flights with 80 messages/sec to around 65 flights and more than 1000 messages.
Every time i mount the mast on the wall the opposite happens. Poor performance once again.
My next step was to mount it on a PVC pipe, just to see the results. Now i’m able to go as high as 700 messages but with the same behaviour. whenever i dismount the pipe from the wall i get much more results.
The cable in case you are wondering is RG58 (about 15 feet) and there is no kind of interference in the proximity.