SIA upgrades WSSS-RJAA-KLAX service to A380

Looks like the A380 will be making a return to LAX.

STORY

Singapore Airlines to fly A380 on Los Angeles route
December 7, 2010 - 4:56PM

Singapore Airlines, the world’s second-largest carrier by market value, said on Monday it will deploy the Airbus A380 superjumbo on the Singapore-Los Angeles route beginning next year despite a controversy over the plane’s engines.

Recent problems involving the Rolls-Royce engines on the biggest passenger carrier in the world have forced Australian carrier Qantas to ground some of its A380 aircraft, preventing it serving the Sydney-Los Angeles route for the time being.

Both SIA, which currently operates 11 A380s and has another 9 on order, and Qantas are using Rolls-Royce Trent 900 engines on their A380 aircraft. SIA currently does not use the A380 on the Singapore-Los Angeles route.

“This is a significant and smart move by the carrier (SIA), which will likely capitalize on the busy trans-Pacific route with its 471-seater A380,” said Shukor Yusof, analyst at Standard & Poor’s.

SIA said its A380 has been designed to seat 471 passengers in a three-class configuration, compared to 375 on its Boeing 747-400.

“This means that while there will be capacity growth, it will be incremental and sustainable for the airline,” SIA said in a statement, adding that the route would start after the carrier receives its 12th A380 next year.

Last month, a Qantas A380 flight between Singapore and Sydney suffered a mid-air engine failure, forcing the plane to make an emergency landing in the city-state.

The Australian carrier is claiming damages from Rolls-Royce over the engines on its A380s and loss of business as investigators concluded a design fault was the likely cause of the November 4 incident.

BL.

Note this is the direct service via NRT upgrading from a B744, not a resumption of the nonstop or even a new service.

I edited the thread title to reflect this.

No problem. That was even news to me. So in addition, Japan is getting A380 service as well. Cool. Have a link to an article for this? I’m thinking of crossposting that to another forum.

BL.

singaporeair.com/saa/en_UK/c … US/LAX.jsp lists the direct flight at the bottom as well as the nonstop (which still exists, I thought it had been canceled).

Qantas to resume A380 to LAX mid-January (maybe).
Singapore A380 to LAX starts 27 March.
Air Tahiti Nui to operate 2 Qantas flights to LAX December 7/9.

airlineroute.net/?s=los+angeles