Shutdown/reboot

So I had to change a socket in the kitchen today & had to kill the power, as for some strange reason the kitchen plugs run off the upstairs socket ring, which also powers the loft sockets. So I did sudo shutdown now and left it for 2 mins and killed the power, once finished I turned the sockets back on and gave it a couple of minutes to boot before I checked on the pi, I couldn’t connect via SSH nor was I getting the Web page on the pi IP address, so went in the loft & the red light was back on but no ethernet lights, I had to switch it off and back on again at the plug switch to get it working.

Now I expected it to just boot back up after killing the power the 1st time as I thought it was properly shutdown, but it didn’t. Is this the norm on pi’s as I really don’t want to be having to get the ladders out every time the power goes out or is their a better shutdown command to use, & if we do have a power cut and I’m away will the pi even come back on fully once power is restored?

The IP address may have changed. Check your FA webpage to see if this is the case.

It’s set as static IP

Are you absolutely sure it ever went off?
Maybe your loft sockets are not fed from the circuit you thought they were.

1 Like

Yeah as after I shut it down both the ADSB & AIS running on it wouldn’t display the Web page and SSH failed to connect, Yeah deff on the same ring as wired into upstairs sockets as I ran twin and earth from a socket on the landing up through the wall partition and into the loft.

I don’t doubt that you shut it down. However I still wonder if it ever actually powered off. Did you look at the lights on the pi when you had the kitchen circuit turned off?

No because its in the loft, It wasn’t until after I had powered the circuit back on and it wouldn’t connect, that’s when I went into the loft to investigate.

The sudo shutdown command should certainly have worked, then when power returns is would normally boot back up. I tend to use sudo poweroff which does the same but shutdown gives more options, eg to halt, reboot, delay shutdown, send a message etc.

Occasionally mysterious things happen with computers, most of the time they do as we expect but sometimes, just to keep us on our toes they throw us a curved ball and we start doubting ourselves.

My own multiboot laptop, most of the time it boots fine, very occasionally it’ll run through some booting process then dump me back at the boot menu.

Geoff

I would check the logs, typically dmesg and/or journalctl for around the time the reboot was done

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.