Shocking impact of SR-22 crash caught on cctv . . .

VIDEO

NTSB Preliminary from August 4/2010 Phoenix Deer Valley Airport, Arizona.

N146CK Cirrus SR-22 Turbo photo Concord997/FlightAware

Scary video! :astonished:

And you mean Concord977 not Concord997. :slight_smile:

If you check just before impact, the pilots door is fully opened, which is why he was returning to the airport.

Reminds of of the CJ525 at Van Nuys that their nose door opened fully extended on lift off, they leveled at 200’ slowed the plane and when they attempted to turn to return stalled the aircraft.

For me the lesson in an emergency return to the airport - don’t forget to fly the aircraft!!!, seems which I can appreciate they’ve slowed the aircraft to hopefully not cause any damage from the open doors - but both resulted in fatal stalls.

I’ve flown a couple of SR-22’s - after seeing this yikes - all from an open door!

On three different occasions I’ve had the door open on a PA-31. I have always ignored the fact till I was at a safe ALT and AS to fix the problem.

The worst was taking off from KBOK, 2900 foot runway in 1/8 mile and fog.
(Before y’all jump down my throat I was part 91)
halfway down the runway I the door popped open and I didn’t have enough runway to stop so I took her in the air and once at 8,000 feet I was able to get the top latched. I was solid IMC the entire time and the AP wasn’t working.
At one point it was snowing in the cockpit. Talk about in-flight icing 8)

The Janotrol heater in the PA-31 works good when the door is shut and there is no snow inside :open_mouth:

But as someone pointed out FLY THE AIRPLANE.

Which begs a question in my head. We slow down to POH values for stall speed. Open door adds drag, would that not increase the stall values especially with these gull wing doors like the Cirrus?

Fortunately for me, my one and only time where the passenger door popped open in the Sundowner, it was VMC and a non event. Flew the pattern at KMBO and landed.

Lesson learned, I now close the doors myself from the outside OR verify doors are secure myself by pushing on the door (Cessna, can’t secure the latch outside).

All very good points, the Cirrus was 3 minutes in the air, and had intended to fly cross country - so he would have been full fuel, drag from the open door, probably in a panic - not good.

Lots of additional info here Click Here.

I had a door come unlatched (not completely open) some time back and had my camera running in the back seat.
door comes unlatched video
In the video (start around 3:00 to skip the taxi out) as we complete the pre takeoff checklist Gary (in the right seat) checks the door and notices the top is not latched (at 3:06) . I see it out of the corner of my eye and notice Gary go to latch the top. We taxi out and begin the takeoff, as we build speed Gary feels the air from the open door and mentions it right before rotate…I’m already in the takeoff, probably have enough runway cut power and land, but in the split second, I felt more comfortable continuing the takeoff and bringing it back around in the pattern.

This was the first time I had trouble with this door in this aircraft, but a Warrior I fly also has the same latch problem. The latch moves with the same amount of force even though the latchbar is not being moved, only the lever. It feels as though the latch is securing but it is not.

It was a non event, and in fact you can’t really hear it, but I told Gary not to bother with trying to fix it, we’d just land and fix it as I didn’t want the door to get damaged by the air pressure. He got it to latch though and we continued.

%between% %between%

Instant death.

There are far worse ways to go…

Ironically the photo at top with the door open, is exactly as the door was fully extended at impact.

The link you provided opens this thread.

I am currently in San Luis Obispo but I worked all the time by the deer Valley Airport! I am just curious how he seemed to nose dive so quickly!! Did he fall out of the plane first and then the plane crashed?

[quote=“atlwatchdog”]

oops should be door unlatches on takeoff

Thanks for re-posting! Nice job BTW. Good “crew” coordination there too. I applaud your decision making and use of common judgment.

Well done!

Here’s another photo of N146CK taken on 10/11/2009.

flightaware.com/photos/view/2692 … tes/page/1

“The NTSB is not only one of the premiere accident investigations in the world; it is also the national archives of what not to do.” - Former NTSB Chairman Jim Hall.

Unfortunately for this Cirrus owner - he will be added to the database!!