Searching for diverted flights

There is a diverted boolean returned on most endpoints. Can I search or otherwise filter on that?

Is it possible with GET /flights/search or some other endpoint to return just the flights which have been diverted?

Ultimately I’d like to know when a flight gets diverted to a particular airport.

Unfortunately there is not a boolean for diverted in any endpoint. The only way to filter out the diverted flights would be to call for an airport or operator endpoint and filter out all the results from your end since there is a diverted flag in the results there.

Taylor Fischer -
Commercial Support

Toll Free: +1.800.713.8570
Support Line:+1.713.588.6514

Eleven Greenway Plaza, Suite 2900 - Houston, Texas - 77046
FlightAware

Learn about FlightAware Global and Premium Accounts: Commercial Services - FlightAware

Would it be best to search for the airport that the flight is diverted to or the original planned destination?

But are the diverted data reliable?
I have seen pretty often that flights are diverted but it’s not documented somewhere

Last example was the two day closure of airport Istanbul where almost all en-route flights are diverted. But only a few showed the final airport as destination.

Adding on to this - when a flight is diverted you say to search for it, what’s the most reliable filter to match?

Strange the diverted flight record response doesn’t just add a field for the diverted reference ID to save on searching costs and complexity

EDIT:

2020 Thread:

FAQ:
The diverted field is a boolean; it can be true or false. If it is true, the actual_on field will indicate the diverted time. To determine the diversion airport and arrival time (if aircraft has arrived), your application will have to find the flight for that aircraft with the same origin and departure time.

Could we get some clarity here - will duplicate IDs be returned from the newest API?

@Fischer6385 Did you manage to get an answer on how to find the matching diverted flight in the API? An example here would be very helpful.

Thanks

The diverted airport would be best, but alternatively you could also search for the departure airport and the diverted flight should appear there as well.

It is dependent on what data we receive and the example provided with Istanbul proves this. Even if we do not receive data indicating a diversion we should still be able to trigger the diversion if we see ground positions at a different airport than what was filed, but this won’t show until after the flight is completed.

1 Like

As stated previously, there is no filter for diverted flights and the duplicate IDs would be returned as well. The first would be the original flight and the second would be the updated diverted flight.

Thanks for getting back to me, so we will continue to search by the FA internal ID and merge all responses of duplicates to create a singular flight reference.

Thanks