Reception by Geography

New user to both ADBS tracking and Linux. Current setup is an ADSBx dongle and filter with a homemade cantenna and overall performance seems pretty good. This is on a vanilla dump1090-fa, piaware, with tar1090 and graphs1090 added, no adjustments to gain.

I’m still working to understand what I’m seeing in graphs1090 but also wondering if there is a way to see geographically if I have nearby areas where I’m losing messages from being overpowered.
-My ADSB stats page shows more positions in the 50-100 range than in the <50 range, hence my question.

My first thought was simply a density plot of individual positions on a map but if there are other ways I would love to hear it.

1 Like

I don’t know about systematically collecting number of positions versus distance. However, with my setup, just looking at the local map, with the gain setting I’m using, I see that any low altitude plane within about 1-2 miles from my site drops out. Pretty sure that I would have to set the gain much lower to avoid that - which would reduce range a lot. It’s a compromise. Probably the only way to improve on this would be to get a better SDR like an AirSpy or AirSpy mini.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.