Raspberry Pi Replacement

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32451114550.html

Thanks,

I just bought 3 new Pi 3B+ for the price of two and got free courier delivery to Australia so I probably have enough for the time being.

I know it has been discussed but I didn’t pay attention because I wasn’t planning on buying one but can it run the Flightaware image?

S.

The Orange Pi PC is not compatible to Raspbian images. The flightaware image is Raspbian based, so it wont run on Orange Pi. I use Armbian image, then package install of dump1090-fa and Piaware.

The adapter pin is 4.0mm outer - 1.7mm inner

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32451459094.html

The package comes with a cable for USB to barrel connector of a suitable size.

How convenient. :grinning:

S.

I have purchased SET-5

Orange Pi PC SET1:

US $16.50 + Shipping US $4.73 = US $21.23

Orange Pi PC SET3 :

US $19.99 + Shipping US $5.14 = US $25.13

Orange Pi PC SET5 :

US $23.00 + Shipping US $5.73 = US $28.73

Armbian image is the one which I am using for my Orange Pi PC

Armbian Main Page: Download – Armbian

Armbian Orange Pi PC Specific page: Orange Pi PC – Armbian

My version is old one (Xenial). Now latest (Stretch and Bionic) are available at above linked Armbian site.

pi@orangepipc:~$ cat /etc/os-release
NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION="16.04.5 LTS (Xenial Xerus)"
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS"

I had a 5V PSU with barrel connection used for a powered USB hub. Showed 5V when tested with a multimeter but as soon as put under load voltage dropped below 4V

Geoff

Seems to be a lot of repurposed power supplies that don’t make the grade when used to power a Pi.

S.

1 Like

My experience. YMMV

We refer to these things as power supplies.While technically correct, I prefer to call them AC adapters/Wall adapters/Wall warts. For me, a power supply is a bigger unit, either desk, shelf mounted, or part of the equipment, like in a computer.

1. I have not seen a lot of regulated linear AC adapters, they are not very common. Unregulated AC adapters will usually show a much higher voltage when measured. It’ll usually get closer to the nominal voltage once there is a load. The problem in this case is that if the equipment being powered is voltage sensitive, it may be enough to damage it.One big advantage of a linear AC adapter is that it’s usually RFI quiet.

2. Most switching AC adapters are kind of regulated by design. It will measure the nominal voltage with no load. This does not mean the voltage will not drop under load, it will, if the current draw is higher than the AC adapter’s specification. They can be serious RFI generators.

As mentioned, in addition to the above, they do not all provide DC at the output. One must check, a number of them still provide AC, they just lower the voltage.

Then there is the polarity. I much prefer center pin positive, I think it’s safer, but some of the adapters will be the reverse.

Bottom line is: repurposing adapters can be a good idea, specially if using a brand name, quality one, from discarded electronics. It’s what I do. This why I usually save the adapters, when discarding dead electronic devices.

Curiosity, FYI only. There reason more and more devices than in the past had the power supply built-in are now switching to AC adapters, is to reduce compliance costs. In some countries, any device with a built-in power supply must be certified. With planned obsolescence, that is, a ‘new’ model every 6 months, it’s cheaper and faster to certify one AC adapter and re-use it for multiple devices and models.

OK…enough useless info. :sweat:

1 Like

@Dxista
Even with a very good USB cable i have 0.2V drop to the +5V on the GPIO pins.

Is that the protection circuitry or the cable/connection, what do you think?

Care to measure the drop on your installation?

Yes, that is an additional consideration. Any cabling extension will affect the ‘final’ voltage as well due to the additional resistance introduced by the cable. Good quality cabling really means lower numbered AWG, whether copper or other material, stranded vs. solid, etc.

I would have to check, but this is part of the reason why AC won over DC in the early days of electrification. Tesla and Westinghouse vs. Edison.

I just adjusted my PSU to about 5.15V while my complete setup was running to compensate the cable loss.
That’s great with the adjustable ones.

regarding AC/DC you mean because you can’t switch high voltage dc and can’t transform it? :slight_smile:

Again, I read about this many years ago, my memory is good but very short.:smiley:

It’s easier to carry AC at higher voltages (Kilovolts), at very low currents for long distances, than DC.

More useless info. :wink: Some of Edison’s original DC installations were still being used in some New York City neighborhoods until the 80s.

Edison tried to scare people away from AC by saying that it was dangerous. He electrocuted an elephant in public using AC to make the point. Can you imagine how that would go down with public opinion nowadays?:thinking:

1 Like

Still Nikolai Tesla won. Tesla’s AC generator and motor were far more efficient than Edison’s DC generator and motor. The real killer for DC was the Transformer: DC did not have anything equivalent to it. It was only due to Transformers that HV and EHV Transmission lines were possible.

Yes, that’s what I was getting to with long transmission lines at high voltages. Transformers are then used to lower the voltages in stages, as it gets closer to the end user.

The AC debate continues today, in a more contained version. Is 110 VAC better than 220 VAC for residential use?:smiley:

Isn’t it clear that 220V is superior? And with RCDs being so common today you can’t even say it’s more dangerous. Ok you can but oh well :slight_smile:

Edit: Ok it’s RCD not RCB. In German it’s just FI switch meaning F for fault and I for current (which is Strom in German but still capital I is current)
(why is this font so annoying that i have to do tricks to get the I to look like an I?)

Both will kill, but 110V is less painful :wink:

Lower the voltage, safer it is. Safety wise, for domestic use 110V is obviously better than 220V. The disadvantage is that for same power, the wire sizes for 110V are double that of 220V. If you own a copper mine, then this is no consideration. :slightly_smiling_face:

But it may be more prolonged.:weary:

Orange PI is NOT compatible to Piaware SD card img
Orange Pi is NOT compatible to Piaware and dump1090-fa pre-built packages available with Flightaware
I built these packages from source code using J Prochazha scripts.

Since my Armbian install is old one, I decided to try the latest Armbian Stretch

1. Downloaded Armbian_5.59_Orangepipc_Debian_stretch_next_4.14.65.img, and wrote it to microSD card

2. using J Prochazka’s script, installed following:

• dump1090-fa and Piaware, (both ver 3.6.3)
  • Planefinder, FlightRadar24, and Adsbexchange feeders
  • Performance Graphs

All working OK

NOTE:
After downloading/cloning the adsb-receiver script, had to first remove some bugs in JP’s script before running it, else it will fail.

Bug Fix for piaware and dump1090-fa install by script.

A kettle boils much quicker with UK 230V than in US with 110V but I think the EC is trying to force down wattage use.

Geffers