FlightAware Discussions

Raspberry Pi 400

Reminds me of Comodore-64
:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I had an email from both Pi-Hut and Pimoroni about this earlier today and my first thought was ‘cool’. Then I thought about it and I can’t think of a single use for me.

Apart from looking fancy and reminding me of either the Vic20 or the C64.

Damn, you’ve edited your post and mentioned the C64 while I’m typing this :smiley:

1 Like

I was excited about it, until I saw that it still relies on a micro SD card for the OS. I’ll pass.

Even then far better than this one :wink:

I’ve just watched a video about this and I assumed it would be a Pi4 mounted in a keyboard but it’s not, it’s actually a complete new board. Have a shufti at the video here for a teardown which should open at the point where the new board is revealed.

I like it! Yay, another gadget to buy. :slight_smile:
I think it will help get the raspberry into more people’s hands since it’s simple, not to mention more getting used to Linux.

I think it would have served them well to have an internal port for the USB-C (power) to maintain the ability to add in internal battery.

I know… but we are not in the pseudo 80’s. :wink:

I would be much happier with only 32GB of eMMC.

My first computer was a Sinclair ZX81 clone that used cassette tapes for loading and storage. No nostalgia of any kind.

If you can get away with 16GB you could always use this:

My wish is a version/model with solid state storage built-in. Cost is always a concern, but eMMC is cheap.

Must admit, I would like that too.

You can boot directly from a USB stick/drive with the latest firmware (No SD card required), so don’t really need to rely on eMMC for more reliability/speed anymore.

Why am I the only one who cares about RPI Compute Module 4 on here? The common available to order consumer versions do have 32g eMMC. Seems perfect for a custom ADS-B station build in an outdoor box. Complete with Wifi antenna option if your need to place in a kinda distant location.

Probably because without the IO board, it’s pretty difficult to glue an SDR to it. I think they’re pretty neat myself, but not for anything we do here. Plus (it’s a personal thing), even if it did have a USB port, I wouldn’t care to use it for my main installation because I think it’s silly to fire up bluetooth and wifi on the same board I’m trying to capture ADSB on. This is why you see hundreds of posts wondering why radios get saturated…uhh they’re transmitting BT and Wifi within an inch from their radio in many cases… :shushing_face:

It’s cool to see the Compute Module 4 come out though and the more I think about the 400, the more I like the idea for mainstream use.

Some decent videos on the new Compute Module: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/youtuber-jeff-geerling-reviews-raspberry-pi-compute-module-4/

1 Like

I really must look into what I need to do in order to disable both WiFi and BT on the Pi4 I’ve got up the mast, I don’t use either of them.

I could only tell you what I do - that said, I don’t use the pre-canned image which now utilizes RFKILL:

sudo rm -rf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
sudo systemctl disable wpa_supplicant
sudo apt -y remove --purge pi-bluetooth bluez wpasupplicant
sudo apt -y autoremove

Then in /boot/config.txt:

[pi4]
dtoverlay=disable-bt
dtoverlay=disable-wifi

Some may have good reasons still for needing one or both. I don’t.

Special note though: Doing the above removal on an Armbian install will wreck someone’s day because it will also remove network-tools and blast networking away making for interesting times. In short, the above is only meant for RaspberryOS.

You definitely want the IO board with CM4 unless you can manufacture your own like industrial CM users. I’ll probably build a custom layout outdoor box with WiFi antenna just for fun. I have a shed on the far side of my yard where I’d like to trial my test station but WiFi signal is the challenge. The antenna could make that possible.

I’ve never been able to perceive a difference with WiFi on vs off on my Pi test/backup station WRT messages, signal strength, range. Does anyone have data or graphs that shows improvements of turning wifi or bluetooth on/off and real world changes to graphs?

1 Like

Ignoring the downsides (of which there seem to be plenty), what benefit does a CMx /400 have over a retail Pi?

Thanks for the guide although, thinking about it, I don’t know if it’s really worth doing. None of my Ethernet connected Pis have a network configured in wpa_supplicant so they won’t be trying to join anything and with no bluetooth devices configured, will bluetooth actually be doing anything either unless it’s told to go pair?

I’m not an expert and honestly don’t have a clue. I just know if I keep BT enabled on my phone, it sucks battery much quicker (iPhone) then when I have it off even when not paired. I’m not sure what an idle connection for either looks like on a scope, but I imagine both would be sending only pings when not in use. It would obviously be a different story when used.

I don’t have graphs to show either way because I keep mine disabled and havent found a need to spend the time comparing. I also keep my radios and components shielded in metal boxes, maintain good grounds and power through a battery to help eliminate interference as well, so there is
p̶r̶o̶b̶a̶b̶l̶y̶ definitely some OCD going on around here. I also disable HDMI and audio since they aren’t being used in my setups either. It doesn’t cost anything to do, so why not I figure.

1 Like