Raspberry OS / Raspbian updated to Debian 11 "Bullseye"

I appreciate the “if it’s not broke…” logic but we do not plan to build new packages for jessie forever (PiAware 6 might be the last ones) so you’ll be on an old version.

(Plus, if it’s on the network – even if not directly exposed to the world – you really do want security updates, and they’re no longer available for jessie)

2 Likes

My Pis as of today:

(1) RPi Model 4 - Piaware SD card image Buster 6.1

(2) OrangePiPC - Armbian Bullseye with piaware 6.1, dump1090-fa 6.1, dump978-fa 6.1

(3) RPi model4 - DietPi Bullseye 64-bit with piaware 6.1, dump1090-fa 6.1, and dump978-fa 6.1

(4) RPi model 4 - Raspberry Pi OS Bullseye with piaware 6.1, dump1090-fa 6.1, and dump978-fa 6.1

1 Like

I have stopped disturbing commissioned/running install for upgrade. Now I have started using a spare microSD Card and a spare Pi.

I write latest image to spare microSD card, slip it into spare Pi, install and configure feeders, graphs and any other required software, let it run for a while, and if all is ok, replace old card of main Pi with freshly prepared spare microSD card.

This is a very safe way to upgrade.

1 Like

I wasn’t specifically referring to Pis running ADS-B, they are definitely external facing. A couple that spring to mind are ones that run little Christmas trees with flashing LEDs :slight_smile: :christmas_tree:

1 Like

We will see this on your installation?
Hopefully it will not impact LHR traffic because of confused pilots :rofl:

1 Like

I’ve got two of them, one gets set up in my office and the other one is in the front room :slight_smile:

:laughing:

1 Like

Piaware SD Card image ver 6.1 - Upgraded from Buster to Bullseye :slightly_smiling_face:

https://flightaware.com/adsb/stats/user/abcd567#stats-5252

This was just an experiment. It has no advantage as Buster is still supported. Although after running for 18 hrs, I did not notice any issues, but there are no warranties, and if you want to try it, do it on your own risk.

(1) Edited file /etc/apt/sources.list

1.1 - Added following line to add raspberrypi’s Bullseye repo:
deb http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/ bullseye main contrib non-free rpi

1.2 - Commented out following line to comment out Flightaware’s Buster repo:
#deb http://flightaware.com/mirror/raspbian/raspbian/ buster main contrib non-free rpi

(Please see screenshot below).

(2) Updated & upgraded
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get full-upgrade

Upgrade command took about 40 minutes to complete. After comletion, rebooted Pi. The OS is upgraded to Bullseye. Please see screenshot below.

1 Like

I sucessfully ran an upgrade of my Raspberry 3B by changing the sources list from buster to bullseye, followed by apt update and apt upgrade

On that device the additional feeders for Radarbox and Planefinder are running, data is coming from readsb installed on the same Pi3 which catches the stream from my Jetvision device

In addition the WeeWX weather station is running on it.

All went fine, still working after reboot.
I only needed to manually start the weewx service it was flagged as “dead”.

As neither dump1090 nor piaware is running on it (this is going to FA directly from the Jetvision device) i cannot answer if this would work as well.

Update was done in approx 15-20 Minutes (did not check stop watch)

The Raspberry Imager with the (hidden) option to set the parameters for WiFi, hostname etc which can be opened by STRG-SHIFT-X seem to have an issue with the new image, even if it can be selected for installation.

After writing the image to the device, it shows an error that config.txt does not exist.
But it’s there.

Overclocking seem to be working. I used one of my spare Pi4 with 2Gig and the flag in config.txt

System:    Host: Raspi4 Kernel: 5.10.63-v7l+ armv7l bits: 32 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.1 Console: tty 0 
           Distro: Raspbian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye) 
Machine:   Type: ARM Device System: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.2 details: BCM2711 rev: b03112 
           serial:  
Memory:    RAM: total: 1.9 GiB used: 217 MiB (11.1%) gpu: 76 MiB 
           RAM Report: unknown-error: Unknown dmidecode error. Unable to generate data. 
CPU:       Info: Quad Core model: ARMv7 v7l variant: cortex-a72 bits: 32 type: MCP arch: v7l rev: 3 
           bogomips: 1296 
           Speed: 1800 MHz min/max: 600/1800 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1800 2: 1800 3: 1800 4: 1800 
           Features: crc32 edsp evtstrm fastmult half idiva idivt lpae neon thumb tls vfp vfpd32 vfpv3 vfpv4

Haven’t tried it before and if it was already working on Buster. Stability needs check.

Which one of following upgrade commands you used?:

apt upgrade
apt dist-upgrade
apt full-upgrade

I am not sure what is the difference between the above 3 commands. May be some one who knows, or @obj kindly take the trouble to explain.

If you switch from buster to bullseye in the sources.list, the first command is obviously sufficient, that’s what i was using.

The main difference is the automatic resolution of dependency issues from what i found in other discussions.
But for me it was working flawless

I only needed to answer a couple of times if the existing config should be overwritten with a new default one.
I always selected “no” to keep my config files.

That can be a problem if the config structure changes, but it was not the case during my install/upgrade

https://askubuntu.com/questions/194651/why-use-apt-get-upgrade-instead-of-apt-get-dist-upgrade

quick correction after checking my history on the 3B. I needed to use a --fix-missing in between and utilized the update/upgrade again. But i did neither use dist nor full

439  sudo nano sources.list
  440  sudo apt update
  441  sudo apt upgrade
  442  sudo apt --fix-missing
  443  sudo apt update
  444  sudo apt upgrade
  445  sudo reboot now

Yes, this happened with me also. Please see below:

I Googled to find answer to my question about difference between apt upgrade, apt dist-upgrade and apt full-upgrade.

Here is what I found:

(1) One confusing thing is difference between apt-get and apt. Which one to use where?

(2) In Google search results, I found another person claims that both dist-upgrade and full-upgrade are the same thing. I quote him below.

1 Like

Did somebody do something to server configuration this morning? I upgraded to bullseye a couple days ago. Without updating any of adsb software, everything was working fine. But this morning both dump1090-fa and dump978-fa quit working…

BTW if you have Pi 3B+ and are having trouble with Wifi being blocked every time you restart after upgrading to Bullseye, do this:

apt purge connman

Server configuration doesn’t affect your local decoders. You have a local problem.

1 Like

Reinstalling following this guide now… It’s taking a long time for those extra packages…

No, all ok with my 3 bullseye Pis

(1) Pi #1 with Piaware SD card image Buster on RPi model 4.
I upgraded it to Bullseye by adding bullseye repo to file /etc/apt/sources.list and then sudo apt-get update followed by sudo apt-get full-upgrade . It is 2 days now and is working ok. You can check it here:
https://flightaware.com/adsb/stats/user/abcd567#stats-5252

(2) Pi #2 with Armbian Bullseye image on OrangePiPC.
The image was originally Bullseye, and no upgraging done by me. Working ok since one week. You can check it here:

https://flightaware.com/adsb/stats/user/abcd567#stats-6396

(3) Pi #3 with Raspberry Pi OS Bullseye on RPi model 4.
The image was originally Bullseye, and no upgraging done by me. Working ok since two days You can check it here:

https://flightaware.com/adsb/stats/user/abcd567#stats-76000

1 Like