Question for all current instrument pilots

Hello All.

I’m new to FlightAware and have enjoyed reading the discussions from everyone. I recently started flying again after a fourteen year layoff. I passed private and instrument in the early 90’s and have logged 280 hrs. in a Cessna 150 and Piper Warrior.

Obviously, the difference in flying instruments is night and day from 1993. GPS was non-existent, except for the Loran I played with occasionally. Can you guys offer advice on how to get the most bang for my buck when I start the IPC. I have alot to learn, and would like to be ahead of the game before starting the engine. Can anyone recommend great dvd courses and the best way to go about getting comfortable again on instruments.

I’m also looking at transitioning down the road into a Diamond DA40 from the Cessna 172 I’m currently flying. It looks like a fun aircraft and comes with the G1000. Are there any safety concerns with these. Seems like I’ve read about engine issues.

John & Martha King have come out with new videos dealing with the Garmin 430/530, as well as the G1000 w/GFC700, WAAS included in both.
They also have instrument courses available.

You also might try one of THESE from Aircraft Spruce.

(Not an endorsement. I haven’t seen any of these videos. They were just the first places I could think of).

As QuickBurn iterated, I’d have to go with John and Martha as well. Their delivery makes me want to shoot myself… But, I have yet to see anyone else of late that can cover the material as thoroughly and in a format that’s simple to digest as they can.

Welcome mlester to Flight Aware

Truth be known, in my opinion, the “flying part” of a GPS approach is really no different then a localizer approach (assuming your plane doesn’t have WAAS capability) after getting established on the final approach course. So, if you equate it that way, for “flying” then you should be ok to go.

If you have WAAS, then you have that extra ILS type approach available to you for airports that are WAAS certified.

As far videos, Quickburn gave you some leads which should give you a head start… I am not familiar with the glass cockpits of today, my plane is still the steam gauge days with a Garmin 430 for my approaches.

Garmin does provide a free 430 simulator that can be found at www8.garmin.com/include/SimulatorPopup.html I have used it, and it’s ok, but not the same as turning and twisting knobs while flying a plane.

Hope this helps!

Allen

Of course, you can watch more instrument DVD’s than my friend watches Girls Gone Wild, but there really isn’t anything like the real thing. Just grab a hood and a good CFII and get some real logbook time :slight_smile:

As far as your possible move to the DA40…I would be hesitant on that one, especially with the somewhat unproven engine. I’d wait until Theilert’s history improves and sustains a good record over time.

That may be a very long wait indeed as Thielert is in receivership and Cessna has canceled the Thielert powered 172-TD as of 1MAY08.

The ongoing war between Thielert and Diamond Aircraft over long term engine maintenance does not bode well for Thielert powered Diamond owners.

Welcome to FA mlester.

I would go with some of those training videos as Quickburn suggested. I would suggest looking at the SR20 and even the SR22 also. You can find some old Cirrus’s for a good value. But if your looking for reliability and safety, the Cessna can NOT be beat. But anyway, I like the DA40’s except for the stick in the seat. Very unnatural.

The DA40 is not available with a thielert in north america , only in europe. It has a Lycoming IO-360 here.

Thank you for that info DiamondStar and welcome to FA.

Yes John & Martha are boring but effective and they have some nice tests. PIC offers a great refresher course, I took my instrument training from them and loved it, lot of flying in 6+ hours a day for 10 days! As DiamondStar said don’t worry on the DA 40 it is a lycoming and a fun plane to flight, with great visability!

If you can fly a cirrus I would try that as well, roomier and easier to get comfortable in especially if you are 6’ or more. Here you can find all kinds of choices and compare all kinds of planes for free .

what2fly.com

Thanks for that. Lycoming has just a tad more history (of course, I’m a Lycoming homer, as I was born in Williamsport)…
I may have been thinking of the TwinStar. I KNOW they have the geared diesels here.
I’m not a big piston gearbox fan, unless they’re involved in C421’s or warbirds 8)

No kidding, their jokes are terrible.

Also if you have a home simulator jump on that and do some flights with a few approaches again. DO NOT USE THE AUTOPILOT IN THE SIM.

If you do this it will get your scan going again and should help with that