Private pilot's maximum allowed hours of flight?

I know that commercial airline pilots are only allowed 8 hours of flight time per 24 hour period provided such pilot has had 8 hours rest during the 24 hour period. Does this also apply to a private pilot? I.E. if you wanted to fly across country in your private plane, are you limited to 8 hours per 24 hour period? Do you have to keep a log book (like truck drivers do)?
For purposes of this time limitation, does the 8 hours in 24 rule also apply to Netjets and other such charter/taxi operations?

For private pilots, or anyone piloting a non-commercial flight, there is not a specific hour limitation. There is an overall fitness for flight requirement that is up to a pilot’s judgment. That means if you have a bad cold, are too tired, etc., you are supposed to ground yourself. Netjets are commercial flights and, I believe, are required to adhere to the hour limitation. However, corporate jets are not considered commercial flights and so each company has its own flight fitness and/or hour limitations (many elect to use the commercial limitations)

Nothing in the regs requiring a pilot to log his/her time at all. If you want the time to count toward any type of certification or rating, then the time must be logged.

While certain times/flights must be logged to comply with various regs (IFR currency, night currency to carry passengers, say landings to carry passengers, etc.), there is no legal requirement to carry the logs on a flight. However, if the FAA wanted to determine how many hours you have been flying, there are a number of electronic ‘fingerprints’ in most modern aircraft.

Yea, Fractionals go under 91 Subpart K duty time and rest

No limits as others have stated, but my personal limits are determined on my bladder capacity (shorter then the range of my plane) OR the gas in the tanks reduced by the IFR or VFR reserves limits.

Allen

But if, as mentioned in another thread, you would avail yourself of a “pilot relief tube” you would only be limited by the fuel tank capacity!

Very true, but in my case the capacity of my bladder determines the duration of flight where probably, just like driving a car, a stretch break is in order if anything just to clear the cogs from my head from the drone of the engine for an extended amount of time (Don’t have XM in my plane).

If I go VFR, it’s nothing more then finding the nearest airport and landing. IFR, does take a little more planning ahead

Why beat myself up to cut out a 1/2 hour turn time from the bladder break. Plus, it gives me another chance to evaluate the weather ahead of me.

If anyting, I call it a safety break :smiley:

Allen