Porting PiAware to aarch64 (Raspberry Pi 3 armv8)

Hello - Lenny from Austin, Tx. here…

I’ve gotten two new Raspberry Pi 3 Model B’s to play with and I’m looking to build PiAware in a 64-bit environment (aarch64) to see what improvements this may provide. The current 3.5 version I’m running is 32-bit:

/tmp/piaware: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.32, BuildID[sha1]=0xd5e76b61795bc2af9b4adec3d83b3c3d8d171cac, stripped

It took a while to find a native aarch64 Linux OS to use as a build platform and I found that SuSE has a SLES version that seems to fit the bill. Gotta love the Germans and their technology - Was able to download, install, configure and customize with just a few small glitches. Just got that puppy up and running… Centos apparently has ported to aarch64, but I had a devil of a time getting a working boot SD card and finally gave up. Raspbian doesn’t have 64-bit on their radar yet…

At this point, I was going to configure and test a build environment, check out the Git code, start a build and see how far we get - I would love to share notes and/or gotcha’s / bugs / workarounds with anyone else working in that environment.

I do x86_64 builds from time to time and they are fine so I don’t expect any problems with the 64-bit side of things.

Cool - Thanks for the info - at this point, I’ve trying to find all the necessary support packages such as libsdrrtl, libusb and others. I’m used to using yum under RH/Centos and I have to remember how to use zypper instead…