PiAware Beast-Format Results Error

Hi all,

I spent a few hours yesterday getting started with a Raspeberry Pi based station, everything seemed to go well and based on the stats page I’m up and running and getting both position reports and MLAT spots (excuse the embarrassingly short range, it’s in a bedroom window with a test antenna for now, much to the annoyance of my wife :laughing:) http://flightaware.com/adsb/stats/user/AviatorPenguin

I wouldn’t have thought anything wrong, but on expanding the log window, I see a continuous stream of the following message:

[2016-03-04 16:15 GMT] mlat(1202): Beast-format results connection with localhost:30104: [Errno 111] Connection refused

Now I’m not sure what to do? I’m getting MLAT results so the data is coming from somewhere, but PiAware seems to be expecting something else.

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers,

Jamie

Which version of software are you using? the FA SD card or something else. Which version of dump1090 are you using?
Maybe add which log file you are posting in the future.

Edit /etc/default/dump1090-mutability and change the beast port to 30104

Port to listen on for Beast-format input connections. 0 disables.

BEAST_INPUT_PORT=“30104”

Then restart dump and check the logs

sudo service dump1090-mutability restart

If it already has this setting then dump1090 is not running for some reason. Try rebooting the RPI.

Apologies, it’s the log window on the FlightAware stats page. Will try that when I get home and report back.

Thanks,

Jamie

I just looked at your stats and MLAT is/was working for you.
flightaware.com/adsb/stats/user/AviatorPenguin
Feeder Type: PiAware (Debian Package Add-on) 2.1-5
Multilateration (MLAT): Supported / Enabled (synchronized with 37 nearby receivers)

You could try a remote reboot(from the website) but it seems to be working.

Aviator Penguin, You know Penguins don’t fly(in the air) :smiley: (except maybe if they are cartoon characters from Madagascar)

That message is to do with the return path where FA sends mlat results back to you for display.

So would that usually be a router/NAT issue on my side or is that something that needs adjusting on the Pi?

Thanks,

Jamie

I think the error refers to the piaware app connecting to dump1090 for info.
It is local to the RPI so should not be affected by your router or NAT.

Most people have a NAT router at home. Systems are usually designed to work with it(until we go IPV6 where inbound connections are easier to work with and NATing is heavily discouraged).

Thanks, I’ll have a fiddle. At least it seems to be working otherwise.

Cheers,

Jamie

Just to close the loop on this, I added the below to the arguments given to dump1090 and rebooted and, so far, the error messages have stopped.

–net-ri-port 30104

Thanks all :smiley:

Jamie