Piaware and internet outages

Just a couple of questions regarding how piaware handles internet outages/dropouts.

1. Is the data during an outage/dropout lost, or does it buffer and get uploaded once reconnected and does it matter how long the outage/dropout is?

2. Does piaware record outages in the logs somewhere? Is it possible to check the logs and count up how many dropouts I’m having?

Thanks in advance.

one obtuse way of monitoring it (if you have mlat enabled) is to monitor the line in /var/log/piaware.log with "mlat-client(7451): Receiver status: ". If that is changing then probably your connection outbound to the flightaware mlat service is changing which is a “dropout”

1. The data is only buffered for a few seconds. We don’t store positions long term due the low amount of memory and the chance of SD cards wearing out. We have discussed storing positions long term but with so many ADSB sites another one will usually pick up the slack. If you want to run your own database you can look into the mySQL integration or use a program like PlanePlotter. The FlightAware forums is a good place to check.

2. The logs are stored in /var/log/piaware.log . You might also want to check the syslog in /var/log/syslog
    A good place to check is if you are having a networking problem or so other type of hardware problem (usually power).

Thanks guys, I’ll check out the logs when I get home from work. I’m not concerned about the pi setup as all devices on my home network are dropping at the same time. It is either the modem or our crappy Australia interwebs. I was just thinking that, given the pi is running 24/7 and uploading regularly it might be a good source of data to hit my isp with regarding the number of dropouts we are having.