One Pi, Two Dongles, Two Maps, Two Receivers

Seems your reception for 1090 MHz is significantly reduced though.

Now Iā€™ve got to figure out how to also feed adsbexchange with the 1090+978 data. I think I remember reading that they have a Guide for adding adsbexhange to an existing FA feed.

I had the box in the office temporarily - itā€™s back in the attic now and 1090 is picking up aircraft out to 100nm again.

Indeed. Itā€™s just a couple of commands.

Well Iā€™m stress-testing my box now - Iā€™ve added a 3rd SDR and a 2nd Raspi to feed LiveATC and the attic reads 130ā€™F with my IR thermometer. Raspi CPUs are running 78ā€™C so my guess is that auto-throttling may have already kicked in (believe AT starts at 80ā€™C).

@obj
For 2nd instance of piaware, the ExecStart= line in the 2nd instanceā€™s service file /lib/systemd/system/piaware2.service is given below:

ExecStart=/usr/bin/piaware -p %t/piaware2/piaware.pid -plainlog -statusfile %t/piaware2/status.json -configfile /etc/piaware2.conf -cachedir /var/cache/piaware2

Now I want to save 2nd instanceā€™s feeder-id in file /etc/piaware2.conf by following command, but it fails saying the file /etc/piaware2.conf is read-only, though it is not.

Any solution/workaround for this situation?

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo piaware-config -configfile /etc/piaware2.conf feeder-id 11111111-2222-3333-4444-555555555555
warning: could not set option 'feeder-id' to value '11111111-2222-3333-4444-555555555555': cannot update option feeder-id in readonly file 

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo chmod 666 /etc/piaware2.conf
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ls -l /etc/piaware2.conf
-rw-rw-rw- 1 piaware root 523 Jun  1 23:44 /etc/piaware2.conf

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo piaware-config -configfile /etc/piaware2.conf feeder-id 11111111-2222-3333-4444-555555555555
warning: could not set option 'feeder-id' to value '11111111-2222-3333-4444-555555555555': cannot update option feeder-id in readonly file /etc/piaware2.conf

You donā€™t like fans?

One just circulating air in the enclosure can do wonders :slight_smile:
I personally like to run 12V fans on 5V but your mileage may vary.

Also not sure if you can fit an 8cm fan in there.

I had the impression piaware-config ignored the -configfile option.

Just change the file by editor.

I might try a small fan. Would a Raspi heatsink help much in an enclosed box?

For reading, no it did not ignore. It read instance 2ā€™s feeder id correctly from /etc/piaware2.conf

For writing to file, it still did not ignore piaware2.conf, but somehow takes it as read-only, or maybe it is hard coded to write only to piaware.conf and not to any other file.

Those are mediocre at best. Most heat dissipation with the RPi is via the board and everything on it.
So a fan improves the heat dissipation for the whole board.

I think a 8cm fan could fit beneath the raspberries and would do very well pointed upwards.

Also those antennas still have the insulation on them.
They are calculated for bare wire.
Not sure how much of a difference it makes though.

I figured if the signal can get through the roof and the plastic box, then it can get through the wire insulation too. At one point I had the 2 antennas reversed and didnā€™t notice a difference.

What did seem to matter was the 45-degree bent ground plane wires. When I tried 90-degrees (perpendicular to the center antenna) or 0-degrees (bent all the way down) there was a very noticeable reduction in tracked aircraft.

Itā€™s not about the signal getting through.

The electromagnetic waves travel the wire at a different speed when the surrounding material is different.
So it could be out of tune so to say.

But as the design is quite wide band anyway so most likely itā€™s fine.
(i guess the insulation is stuck on too well to remove it?)

Try it as root. Usually piaware-config relies on a sudo helper to update the config file; this isnā€™t set up for your other config file. (Here, ā€œread-onlyā€ means ā€œI canā€™t write to itā€)

No success even as root.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo su

root@raspberrypi:/home/pi# piaware-config -configfile /etc/piaware2.conf feeder-id 11111111-2222-3333-4444-555555555555

warning: could not set option 'feeder-id' to value '11111111-2222-3333-4444-555555555555': cannot update option feeder-id in readonly file /etc/piaware2.conf

OK tried this:

sudo install -m 0755 /usr/lib/piaware_packages/helpers/update-piaware-config /usr/lib/piaware_packages/helpers/update-piaware2-config

ls /usr/lib/piaware_packages/helpers
droproot update-piaware2-config update-piaware-config

Edited newly installed file
sudo nano /usr/lib/piaware_packages/helpers/update-piaware2-config

Did following :

Changed /etc/piaware.conf to /etc/piaware2.conf (all occurances)
Changed /etc/piaware.conf.new to /etc/piaware2.conf.new (all occurances)
Changed /boot/piaware-config.txt to /boot/piaware2-config.txt (all occurances)
Changed /boot/piaware-config.txt.new to /boot/piaware2-config.txt.new (all occurances)

Saved (Ctrl+o) and and closed (Ctrl+x)

Restarted piaware2
sudo systemctl restart piaware2

Now tried to change feeder-id

Attempt 1 - Failed

sudo piaware2-config feeder-id 11111111-2222-3333-4444-555555555555
sudo: piaware2-config: command not found

Attempt 2 - Failed
sudo /usr/lib/piaware_packages/helpers/update-piaware2-config feeder-id 11111111-2222-3333-4444-555555555555
/usr/lib/piaware_packages/helpers/update-piaware2-config: exactly one argument expected

:cry: :sob:

I guess thereā€™s a bug in there somewhere then; itā€™s not a setup I usually test. Edit the file by hand?

2 Likes

Thanks. That is is the option I am using, and it works ok. Was just curious to see if I can make command line method to work for 2nd instance too.

Hi Guys, you did make progress in this topic, thats great.
Meanwhile there ist a lot of flarm stuff out there that is not licenced by the flarm owners. For example the stratux device and Hardware with softRF.
With a t-beam (lora) and softRF you have a full flarm deviceā€¦it is sooo cool, I love it. I think it is not possible to protect the flarm protocoll and it is not stopable meanwhile anywayā€¦more and more cheap flarm devices will come.
So Iā€™d like to rise my question again for a single raspi, two rtlsdr, with a dump1090 and an ogn flarm instance running similar like two dump1090 instances in one raspi.
Is someone able to do a guideance step by step?
There are some ready to use ogn Images available, maybe these can be easily modified with the adsb Software?
http://wiki.glidernet.org/downloads
An additional dump1090 and a fa-feeder (or fr24) would be sufficient I assume.
Maybe its possible to have both data (adsb/flarm) in one (dump?)map in the screenā€¦this would be the coolest and highest goal and the best thing for snall airfields and their Air traffic controllers like you have anywhere out thereā€¦would make flying even more safe.
Greetings Peter

I donā€™t think a $30 computer and ā€œair safetyā€ are a good fit.
Safety of life should be taken a little more seriously.

1 Like