Old satelittle dish

I have a directv dish that is sitting on my roof. Currently I’m using cable so there’s no need for it. I live in a single story house surrounded by a bunch of trees. I’m getting a max range of about 50 mm and am wondering if it would be feasible to buy the flightaware antenna and use the existing cabling to hook it up. Currently everything is stock and it’s pointing out of a bedroom window pointing east. Would this improve the range?

I believe the FA antenna will only tie to a mast of 3-5cm which comes in just under 2" max. I believe the DirecTV mount pole is just about 2" so it MAY fit without modification. As far as connectivity, if you’re using RG6 cable, it should be fine, just make sure everything is properly grounded and weatherproofed and you should be fine.

As for improving your range, a LOT goes into that and I can’t say how well it would. If you get the antenna over your roof line, you should notice a good increase, depending on the construction of your house, surrounding areas and probably a few other things.

Will this get the antenna above the trees?

Unfortunately, it will not get me over the tree line. However, it will help it from going through my entire house to try to get any signals which I’m guessing will help? I’ve also considered building a antenna following some of the directions found in the forums and keeping it inside, but I’m not the most handy guy when it comes to that kind of stuff.