NOAA Aircraft

Do they block the flights of NOAA hurricane hunter aircraft? If not, does anyone have the N numbers or flight info.

Steve

Google revealed

N42RF (Orion)
N49RF (Gulfstream)

I’d suspect while they are on an IFR flight plan, traffic seperation probably wouldn’t be needed from other aircraft other then another NOAA hurricane hunter plane should there be two hurricane hunters in the same storm. :smiley:

Allen

Allen,

Thanks, I found both of those “N” numbers, but when I did a search, flight aware showed nothing found. I assumed that meant they were not good numbers for tracking. Or does it mean that there is no activity right now on both of the aircraft. LOL, you are right about the separation part… I don’t think too many planes will be in their flight path.

Steve

Just like NASA, NOAA’s aircraft often fly as NOAAxx where xx is the number in the middle of the registration.

NOAA42 (P-3)
NOAA43
NOAA45
NOAA46
NOAA47
NOAA48
NOAA49 (GLF4)
NOAA51
NOAA52
NOAA55
NOAA56
NOAA57
NOAA64
NOAA65

Thanks,
That is what I was looking for. I don’t know why I didn’t think of that.

Steve

I would imagine that since most hurricane hunter flights are outside of US airspace, or any other country for that matter, they are outside of controlled airspace and they can do pretty much what they want.

I don’t think the flights in international waters would be the issue. Exiting and entering US airspace would be the issue.

faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/ … 3_SEC1.cfm would be a good start for documentation needed.

I would think the NHC folks have a standing agreement with the US, but they may not be exempt from operational rules NEAR other countries. I don’t have any first hand knowledge.

Not that anybody would intercept them in the middle of a hurricane :smiley: :smiley:

Allen

When an aircraft on an IFR flight plan departs U.S. airspace with the intention of returning during the same flight the crew will file 2 flight plans.

The first to a fix or L/L coord at the edge of controlled airspace at which time the IFR is cancelled.

A second flight plan is filed for pick up at a fix or L/L coord with a filed estimate over the returning fix and at an altitude the pilot requests to reenter U.S. controlled airspace.

This is the same procedure military aircraft use when entering Restricted areas (overland) or Warning areas (over water) during training missions.

NOAA43 is also a P-3. Here it is checking out Fay yesterday: NOAA43

FlightAware revealed…
Two romeo fox is a beech baron.

flightaware.com/live/flight/N42RF

Not only that they also use the military “Hurricane Hunters” which wont show up at all on Flightaware,since they are military,two have been repositioned from their home base,actually one has been in the storm,just up on the radio 40 miles from Fort Lauderdale,will be back at base at about 2000 local time.

Here is the activity for the hurricane hunter assigned to FAY.

flightaware.com/live/flight/NOAA42

If you watch the radius of the turns you can determine the actual eye area by its track.

Cheers.

NOAA 43 P-3 Orion Just off MacDill AFb headed into the storm and because the storm will be on top of the base NOAA 43 is going to New Orleans after they make their passes into the storm.

I am trying to figure out if this is a sea turtle or a duck?
flightaware.com/live/flight/NOAA … /KMCF/KMCF

I do not know if this was on purpose, but at any rate it is pretty cool.

HC

Yes, totally intentional. Not to make some strange Etch-a-Sketch in the sky. That’s a Gustav recon flight.

Platypus

Here is one of the NOAA flights checking out IKE.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight_track_bigmap.rvt?ident=NOAA42-1221253318-32277-9;airports=KMCF+KMCF;key=7cfee50f8537591e16eebd27264cca5f4299ecf3;keytime=1221276629;height=340;width=400;departuretime=1221253440;arrivaltime=