New Pro Stick Plus DOA?

Just replaced my RTL-SDR with a new Pro Stick Plus I picked up on Black Friday. The RTL-SDR was working fine but only getting <50 miles coverage and was hoping to boost the reception with the “Official” dongle. PiAware boots up fine with everything but the 1090 receiver showing “error: Not connected to Mode S receiver”. I am wrong to assume that I can just swap the dongles out without any kind of changes to the software? I am running a Raspberry Pi 3, Model B. Thanks

Try doing a sudo reboot That will reboot the RPI and it should see the RTL-SDR stick as the same as the old one. You may have to change the rtlsdr-gain setting to compensate for the upgraded stick. first do htop to see what the current gain is. (expand the box) t see what the current gain is. Collapse the box, then Ctrl C to return to a command prompt. then use sudo piaware-config rtlsdr-gain (XX.X) to set possibly a lower setting, as that new stick has a filter and an amplifier built in it. Adjust as necessary for your desired settings. Prior to doing any changes, from the command prompt, do lsusb That will list everything connected to the USB ports on the RPI. Install your new stick and you should see a different name or description of the new stick.
Change sudo piaware-config rtlsdr-gain xx.x to XX.X to give it a new gain setting.

Example: if your current htop setting shows your gain as 55.0, then change your sudo piaware-config rtlsdr-gain 44.5
Just experiment with this setting to see what suits you best.
Finish with sudo reboot
Hope this helps

KB4ERT- Bert

Before changing things check your system logs

What is the output of sudo journalctl -xe|grep dump1090 and the output of lsusb ?

Both commands should give some insight if the USB stick is properly recognized.

Thanks for the feedback. sudo journalctl -xe|grep dump1090 returned “command not found” but the lsusb proved very useful, the Pro Stick Plus does not show at all, so I pronounce it DOA. Had heck of a time figuring out the pipe, I was getting a gibberish character. Further research showed that I had to reconfigure the Pi for my US formatted keyboard. I’m a newby with Linux but have to admit I enjoyed the challenge.

Then something different is wrong.

Can you try inserting it into a different USB port and seeing if lsusb detects it? If not, you can contract adsbsupport@flightaware.com and let them know about the issue.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.