New, inexpensive 1090MHz antenna for sale

i’d say 5db :slight_smile: as my other antenna from jetvision (spec is 5db) seems to be exactly on par with the flightaware …

but what i found and is much more important than theoretically specs is that both antennas are not soooo omnidirectional.
so - if at your location there is a hotspot of traffic - try turning the antenna around the vertical axis to improve your sites reception.

regards
tom

I bought this antenna from Amazon, and it makes a huge difference to the little antenna the ADS-B RTL-SDR receiver comes with.

I completely agree. Question though; I am seeing great coverage from the west, and not so great from the east. The antenna is in the open, so I’m wondering if rotating the antenna (as silly as it sounds) would make any difference?

It’s omnidirectional, so it shouldn’t benefit from rotation.

There can be several different reasons which make your range in east inferior than in west:

(1) Maximum range in any direction depends on the altitude of highest flying plane in that direction. It may be possible that flight routes in your area are such that higher planes are in west, and lower in east.

(2) The terrain around your site is such that it blocks view of horizon to east due to hills or land gradient (site located at a point which has much lower ground level than east, and much higher than west).

(3) Trees or houses/buildings in east which have roof line above your antenna.

(4) The antenna is not omni-directional.

Item (3) can be checked by you by climbing up the location of antenna installation and looking in east.

Item (2) can be checked, using method given in my post:

What is the Maximum Range I can Get?

Item (4) does not seem to apply to a professionally designed, built & tested antenna like FlightAware’s. However to make sure, you can use a true omni antenna to see if that gives uniform range in east & west. True omnis are

(1) The “optimized” stock antenna which was supplied with DVB-T.
(2) Cantenna
(3) Spider

All these 3 true-omni antennas are given in my post:
Three Easy DIY Antennas for Beginners.

Came across this on Amazon. Someone is nuts. FlightAware you might want to put water marks on this pictures. Copyright?

@sjacket99:
(1) He sure is nuts. Look at the prices. He is offering at more than double the price offered by FlightAware. Who will buy from him?
(2) The antenna

(a) May not be a copy of FA antenna. This seller may be a "reseller", selling original FA antenna.
 (b) May be a clone of FA antenna, in which case FlightAware may take legal action, if they wish so.

Link available for the knockoff listing?

amzn.com/B017UN2PWK

I don’t know if it’s a reseller or not. But wow. I’ll buy one from FA.

Very strange! No relation to FA but maybe our antenna; we’ve sold thousands. Ships from Israel.

Ok. I would think it’s FA’s antenna from the pictures, because the pictures are the same…

I think so, too. No direct relation to us though.

Ok. I have a FA antenna. Can’t wait for the new one to be sold on Amazon.

This is just a straight up fraudulent seller. They are selling 15,664 items on Amazon…Just launched the Amazon store. No feedback.

Even if it is a genuine FA antenna, why one should pay $109 when one can get it for $44? The only reason one will be tempted to buy it is if FA antenna is out of stock, or delivery time is very long, and the buyer is not ready to wait.

I did not check, but what is the difference between two sellers for:
(1) shipments to US locations?
(2) shipment to NON-US locations?

This won’t help. They hold no inventory. These “resellers” are just fishing for any suckers who might accidentally buy from them. If someone does buy this antenna from them, they will simply buy one from FA at that time, send it on and pocket the difference.

Xmas is here. Got the antenna, but had to do away with the filter because of the connector musical chairs. Tripled my coverage and that is indoors. Now I’ll test some tweaks to see if I can improve coverage a bit more. Very happy.

:frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :cry: :cry: :cry: