Need help with my ADS-B dongle

Didn’t help anyway.

Which kernel are you running now?
Have you tried the power supply currently supplying the 3B+?

both Raspberry Pi:

uname -a
Linux RaspberryPi 4.14.79-v7+ #1159 SMP Sun Nov 4 17:50:20 GMT 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux

The problem kernel was a 4.9 so … this shouldn’t be it.

Have you tried the power supply currently supplying the 3B+ with the 3B?

It may just be that your Pi 3B is bad for whatever reason :confused:
Also be sure to try all 4 ports the connection may be loose.

Maybe a cold soldering joint on the USB port (you could resolder that if you really felt like it)

If you already tried the power supply of the 3B+ then it’s clear the Pi 3B is defective.

Hmm… Strange conclusion but it makes sense. Ill ask on the Raspberry Pi forums about this and come back here.

ill report back tomorrow, gn.

Why would someone else have a different conclusion?

Also i would really try rpi-update so you get the most up to date firmware.
Something the rpi forum might tell you to do…

Im not saying there is anything wrong with your conclusion, but I am going to the forums to see if there are any other test I can do to see if my USB chip is defective. Thanks for your help so far.

sorry to say but exactly that was the output of rtl_test -t before my other prostick died.

and this from the healthy dongle

pi@RaspberryPi:~ $ rtl_test
Found 1 device(s):
  0:  Realtek, RTL2838UHIDIR, SN: 00000001

Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U OEM
Detached kernel driver
Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
Supported gain values (29): 0.0 0.9 1.4 2.7 3.7 7.7 8.7 12.5 14.4 15.7 16.6 19.7 20.7 22.9 25.4 28.0 29.7 32.8 33.8 36.4 37.2 38.6 40.2 42.1 43.4 43.9 44.5 48.0 49.6 
[R82XX] PLL not locked!
Sampling at 2048000 S/s.

That is what I get on my Raspberry Pi 3B+

bensimmo wrote:

Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:29 am

Debug,
Take the failing Pi3B setup and switch the Pi3B+ board in.
Everything else is the same then.

That will test the Pi.

Otherwise you’re resting slightly different things.
Tried this out and it seems there might be something wrong with software, here is what i did:

1. Tried same exact SD card in Pi 3B+, aircraft only showed on startup, then no more found (same error with 3B)
  2. Unplugged ads b dongle, rebooted pi, stopped the software ( sudo systemctl stop fr24feed and sudo systemctl stop dump1090-mutability) Then plugged in the ads b dongle and ran the rtl_adsb test, I got no errors and recievednumbers (showing it is working). I then tried this same exact method with the RPi 3B and had the same result, no errors.

So I had to conclude that there might be something wrong with flightradars software. Any advice? I am using a generic ADS B/DVB t tuner: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 … UTF8&psc=1

How about finally running rpi-update?

Or just use a fresh raspbian lite image and be done with it.

Ah but thats the thing, even if i rewrote a new image, I am probably going to receive the same errors.

Didn’t you just say it was coupled to the SD-card?

What do you mean by coupled?

What you are working on now doesn’t work and is in an unknown state.

Did it every work?

As this is a Flightaware discussion forum why not start with a nice fresh Piaware image. Thousands of users have done this and had it working in minutes.

It would tell you very quickly if it is a hardware problem or not.

S.

Ill do this later today, is there a Raspbian piaware build rather then from an image?

The value in using the piaware image is that it will just work without any decisions or any build.

Simply write the image, put it in the Pi, connect Ethernet and power it up. Nothing you can break or mistype.

If it doesn’t work you know you have a hardware problem.

If it works you know it is something you did.

S.

You wrote that the 3B sd-card did not work when you put it into the 3B+.

Now is that the case or did you just get it mixed up?

Where did I say that? I said that when i tried the same SD card in the RPi3B+, i had the same issue as the 3B, aircraft only showed on boot.