N173PA Gulfstream III in-flight window blow-out . . .

FlightAware Flight Tracker N173PA Gulfstream III diverts after a window blow-out, aircraft was carrying hazmat 1.3c, explosive propellant-type material!!

Aircraft operated by Phoenix Air on military operation.

Also in the news, a Gulfstream IV N404PX sounds like another attack by a winglet;

** Report created 3/16/2010 Record 15 **

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 404PX Make/Model: GLF4 Description: G-1159C Gulfstream 4/4SP/SRA-4 (C-20F/G/
Date: 03/14/2010 Time: 2030

Event Type: Incident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Unknown

DESCRIPTION
AIRCRAFT DURING TAXI, STRUCK ANOTHER AIRCRAFT, N159GL A PILATUS PC-12,
SAINT THOMAS, USVI

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: 2008Z 19005KT 10SM SCT020 29/23 A2988

OTHER DATA
Activity: Unknown Phase: Taxi Operation: OTHER

FAA FSDO: SOUTH FLORIDA, FL (SO19) Entry date: 03/15/2010

Interesting;

flightaware.com/live/flight/N173 … V/tracklog

Got down in a hurry but the math doesn’t compute in the descent rate. I wonder if it’s an averaged value or actual subtraction from previous altitude?

Usually it seems to work out that it’s the difference between the prior altitude and current altitude.

08:51AM 44.06 -72.20 300 West 370 426 0.64 40,000 -10,500 Boston
08:52AM 44.11 -72.32 303 West 392 451 0.68 19,000 -12,960 Boston

That is what I would call an emergency descent. From what I’ve heard, the pilots thought they had a compressor stall, at which point the flight attendent informed them of the window failure. At that point, they assumed the worse, that the window had damaged the engine, and that there was a risk of depressurization, so they immediately descended. The interior window remained intact, and pressurization was not lost.

Also, the radar return is not done every second, the one minute between returns may have been 1:10 or thereabouts. I’ve heard of test flights where they got 15,000 + FPM.

I don’t think there has ever been a window actually blow out of a Gulfstream. There have been quite a few windshield delaminations, I’ve had one, sounds like a gunshot. There is a rate of climb/decent limit on the G2 if you have a cracked windshield, don’t know if that applies to the G3 though.

The FAA stuffed a pair of positions in there with a bogus 40,000 ft altitude, which interfered with our rate of descent calculation.

Went from 36500 to 19000 in 3 minutes.

wusses

HAHA! :smiley:

FlightAware Flight Tracker Gulfstream III N155MM diverts.

FlightAware tracklog N155MM

NTSB Identification: ERA10IA170
Nonscheduled 14 CFR Part 135: Air Taxi & Commuter
Incident occurred Wednesday, March 10, 2010 in Farmingdale, NY
Aircraft: GULFSTREAM AMERICAN CORP. G-1159A, registration: N155MM
Injuries: 5 Uninjured.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

On March 10, 2010, at about 1255 eastern standard time, A Gulfstream G1159A, N155MM, registered to N15MM LLC, operated by Northeastern Aviation Corporation, experienced a loss of engine power on the No. 2 engine while climbing through 35,000 feet mean sea level (msl). Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and an instrument rules flight plan was filed for the 14 CFR Part 135 Air Taxi flight to Stuart, Florida. The airline transport pilot in command (PIC), co-pilot, cabin service representative, and two passengers reported no injuries. The flight originated from Republic Airport (FRG), Farmingdale, New York, at 1229.

The PIC stated that while passing through 35,000 feet msl, the crew heard a sound similar to a compressor stall, followed by a loss of power on the right engine. He immediately declared an emergency with air traffic control (ATC) and initiated the checklist for engine shut down in flight. The cabin service representative came to the cockpit and informed him that the No. 4 outer window pane on the right side of the airplane had separated. The flight crew assumed the window pane had been ingested into the right engine. The PIC then contacted ATC requested and received clearance to return to FRG. The crew made a visual approach to FRG, landing at 1318, and taxied to the ramp without further incident.

The airplane is being examined by a Federal Aviation Administration inspector and debris from the cabin window is being sent to the NTSB Materials Laboratory for further analysis.

nycaviation.com/forum/g3-emergen … 36801.html

This bird just flew over my house about 1/2 hour ago while I was out front playing with the kids. Was surprised it was the subject of this thread. Finally made it to Whitham Field. Prolly on their way to the house on JI, the quiet money(that is until Tiger moves in).

flightaware.com/live/flight/N155 … /KFRG/KSUA

Great job getting down safe!