MAKE FLIGHTAWARE INTERNATIONAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It’s makes me so mad whenever i look up an international airport and see that flightaware will only cover flights to/from that airport to the USA!!! :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :angry: :angry: :unamused:

time will tell i think that if people vote yes they will come up with a way to go international :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

FlightAware gets their information from the FAA. Other countries aren’t as reliable, and some won’t even cooperate. :confused: However, depending upon where you are tracking flights…the Caribbean let’s say, you will get better results. Not perfect, but definitely better.

Thank you skyhigh, I did not know that flightaware.com got their info from the FAA! :blush:

Here’s another yes vote.
Unfortunately some governments don’t want to share their flight tracking data with the public.

It’s makes me so mad whenever i look up an international airport and see that flightaware will only cover flights to/from that airport to the USA

This is a very easily solved problem. ** Don’t** look up flights at non-USA airports.

Yes, it would be nice to have international airports shown but that’s not going to happen. Many countries don’t allow photography at their airports. Do you really think they are going to let anyone access flight information.

FlightAware is free and covers the majority of flights in the world (i.e. USA domestic flights and flights to/from the USA).

At least Canada, we’ll cooperate! Lets get some of these airports in the bush in the DB. If we get the info can we update the database?

Cheers

We need more airports in the bush country of Alaska, also.

Believe the FlightAware staff is working on that. Currently, the airports in Alaska and Hawaii get prefixed with “K” instead of their actual ICAO codes which begin with PA and PH respectively.

As a Canadian, I have a selfish interest in seeing Canadian flights as well as US ones. I agree full international reporting would not be practical but have to wonder how difficult it would be to include Canada.
I believe that many flights that originate and end in Canada fly through US air space now. The same situation in reverse likely exists for some US to US flights.

I agree full international reporting would not be practical but have to wonder how difficult it would be to include Canada.

I think the problem with Canadian data may be the fact tha Nav Canada may charge an arm and a leg to FlightAware. If I’m not mistaken, the FAA data is either free or at a relatively low price. Plus, there’s that pesky “security” matter.

I believe many that many flights that originate and end in Canada fly through US air space now. The same situation in reverse likely exists for some US to US flights.

Just thinking off the top of my head, I’d say more domestic USA flights transverse Canadian airspace than the reverse. This is mainly because there are more USA domestic flights to begin with and because part of Canada juts into the USA, thus causing flights from the northeast travelling to the upper Midwest, Michigan, North Dakota, and other border states have to overfly Cananda.

I’d pay for accurate Canadian reporting.

Many countries don’t allow photography at their airports.

Yes, and some airports in the US don’t allow photography at their airports either. I’ve been asked to stop taking pictures in the vicinity of Chicago’s O’hare many times.

It would be great if the road network could be added for Canadian Airspace. If that is a nonstarter, how about a distance and bearing tool so those of us north of the border could better estimate our position relative to an airport. :bulb:

FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING THAT IS HOLY!!! CHILL WITH THE EMOTICONS!!!

I can guarantee that the average age of registered users is way above the legal limit to LEGALLY be in a bar…aka, over 21…

Geez!!!

OK, I feel much better. That being said, international would be awesome but I am a realist and it has already been metioned that some governments won’t share flight info…Oh well.

They can ask, but you needn’t comply provided you’re on public property.

If you’re on airport property, they can do anything they want.

Regards,

James

Free, as it’s public information.

Regards,

James

If you’re on airport property, they can do anything they want.

Isn’t an airport (in most cases) public property? Or do they invoke so-called security concerns to stop photography?

Yes, although “free” should be in quotes.

Usually owned by the city or an airport authority and I don’t think government property implies that it’s open and public to anyone to do whatever they want. They can certainly create rules and have their police enforce them. The general complaint is airport police creating their own rules that aren’t the actual policy and enforcing their rules to prohibit photography or other activities.

If you’re on airport property, they can invoke 911 and enforce a photo ban, even if there isn’t one in existence. Airport police are usually very “flexible” in what “laws” they feel they can enforce. Even if there isn’t any outright ban against taking photographs they can, and will, often make your stay at “their” facility less than pleasant.

If you’re OFF airport property, airport and even city police will often attempt to prohibit photographing planes, the facility, etc., etc., even though there is no actual law banning it.

Diplomatically telling them to take a hike should be one’s only response, but make damn sure your car is legally parked!

This is an often discussed matter in the NGs such as alt.photo.

Regards,

James