Loop in flight path of AAL 1072

Looking at the traffic around RDU this evening, I was wondering why AAL 1072 en route from MIA to LGA would fly a loop over North Carolina:
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=12/35223054095.jpg&s=x11
This was at around 7:30pm, the B738 was flying at FL350, 365kts. I would have imagined that holding patterns are lower/slower/closer to the destination, but what else could it be?

ATC may direct a plane to do a turn like that for spacing or sequencing.

Maybe the pilot saw something out the window he wanted to check out?

:wink:

It could have been for spacing or the next controller did not accept a radar handoff so the plane had to spin.

On a recent flight from AVP-PHL we looped about half-way there. (I assumed for spacing/sequencing). That one loop turned a 22 minute flight into a 35 minute flight.

Your link didn’t work.

[quote=“leardvr”]

Post was a couple of years old :smiley: Think that may be a factor?

Allen

Yeah, I’m sittin’ here lookin’ at AAL1072’s history all the way back into December (2008), and I see that ALL flights are DFW to PHL. I’m checkin’ maps of specific dates prior to 12/20, and NONE of them fly over North Carolina! AND WHY is he bringing this up like six weeks after the flight? Alright - WTF??? I go back and check the OP’s information and read MIA to LGA??? More WTF??? What the hell’s he talking about - MIA to LGA? ONLY THEN do I go reading other posts in the thread…

Layzeeboy: Good job diggin’ up an old thread! :smiley:

By accident, actually. I’m new here (today) and was reading all the “interesting” threads. I didn’t realize how old it was, but thanks.

I circle into PHL darn near every time I go there. :laughing:

flightaware.com/live/flight/QXE3 … /KSEA/CYYJ

This one is interesting … is this an error or a tight holding pattern?

My guess would be that the holding pattern is tight like that for noise abatement purposes (notice that the holding is entirely over water). If it’s not a normal holding pattern and it’s not for noise abatement, it will be interesting to find out why the aircraft was held like that.

Wow, a new one… Assumming the track log matches the green line…

at 3100 feet, noise abatement???

Allen

Weather? YYJ’s overrun is salt water so I assume it’s ~ sea level without even looking. Also they are holding over (international) water (Haro Straight to be exact). I might be able to find out more, hold on.

Conspiracy theory #1: French flight attendant (no picture available, just video, see banter thread)
Conspriacy theory #2: Whale watching

Some kind of operational anomaly, there’s no noise abatement at CYYJ except that all flights after 2000 must use 09/27, the overwater approaches/departures. My WAG would be he couldn’t raise the tower for a few minutes, there’s not a whole lot going on around midnight. Zzzzzz.

There was a Jazz8089 arriving from YVR at about the same time. Throw in a little weather and maybe a lifeguard departure or something not showing up on FA. Just a theory. I emailed a contact there to see if they know anything.

Rofl French Flight attendent i saw that on airliners.net…its a good video though hehe :smiley: .

I’ll throw my hat in the ring here since I live just about due West from where that aircraft was circling. I hear many of the Horizon Air flights into YYJ, but most commonly the ones bound for Runway 09 (as they have to cross the peninsula). In addition, I have a radio scanner that scans App/Dep + Twr at YYJ. On that particular evening I do not recall hearing anything unusual, but I am not totally sure.

I’ll be sure to ask the controllers the next time I’m out there.

I can’t imagine noise abatement on a Dash-8?

As stated above, the only Noise Abatement Procedures that would effect that flight is the restriction to Runways 09-27 between 0400Z-1500Z (2000-0700 Local).