Linux Install

Hello there,
Can someone tell me if Piaware can be installed on a Linux box either Kali or Ubuntu. Running on a pi just now but want to use my laptop as well when at work.

Cheers Kev

Give this a whirl: [OUTDATED] Howto Install Piaware 3.8.1 on Ubuntu-20 AMD64 & Kali-2020 AMD64 on PC

2 Likes

Just now tested on Kali…

1. Installed on Win10 Desktop/Oracle VM “kali-linux-2020.2-amd64”

abcd@kali:~$ uname -a
    Linux kali 5.7.0-kali1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.7.6-1kali2 (2020-07-01) x86_64 GNU/Linux

2. Installed dump1090-fa and piaware 3.8.1 on “Kali Linux 2020.2-amd64”, using following how-to for Ubuntu. 20.02

Howto Install Piaware 3.8.1 on Ubuntu 20 AMD64 on PC

Worked perfectly well on Kali Linux also, except that had to issue following two extra commands (dont know if this is normal with Kali, or just happened with me)

abcd@kali:~$ sudo systemctl enable piaware
    abcd@kali:~$ sudo systemctl restart piaware

Hi there ,
Linux localhost.localdomain 5.6.0-kali1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.6.7-1kali1 (2020-05-12) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thank you both for your replies. I tried it on my Kali laptop and failed. None of the methods worked :frowning: .
Kev

Above how-to is for 64-bit (AMD64) architecture .
What is your Laptop’s architecture?

Please post output of following commands. These will reveal the architecture of Kali on your Laptop:

dpkg --print-architecture

dpkg --print-foreign-architectures

root@localhost:~# dpkg --print-architecture
amd64
root@localhost:~# dpkg --print-foreign-architectures
root@localhost:~#

Clear as mud. Help us help you.

1 Like

Very strange that the method did not work on your laptop!

1. Did both dump1090-fa and piaware failed? If only one of these then which one failed?
  2. Did you use manual method or automated install? If you used automated install by bash script, you will not know where and why it failed. Try manual method and watch for outputs, and it will reveal why it failed.

EDIT:

Try these commands and see if it helps:

sudo systemctl enable dump1090-fa   
sudo systemctl restart dump1090-fa 
sudo systemctl status dump1090-fa    

sudo systemctl enable piaware   
sudo systemctl restart piaware 
sudo systemctl status piaware    

Hi there, I will try this tomorrow got to get to bed up early for work . Thank you for your time.
Goodnight. Kev

I have found the reason of failure on Kali Linux.
In Ubuntu & Debian, the packages installed by command “sudo dpkg -i packagename” are enabled automatically, while in Kali these are kept disabled and user has to enable these manually.

To fix the failure, you don’t have to do anything other than issue following commands to enable & start dump1090-fa & piaware, and these will start working OK.

sudo systemctl enable dump1090-fa   
sudo systemctl restart dump1090-fa 
sudo systemctl status dump1090-fa    
sudo systemctl enable piaware   
sudo systemctl restart piaware 
sudo systemctl status piaware  
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.