Interesting recent behaviour of RA-89148

Paradoxically, since the closure of much airspace to Russian aircraft I see many more Russian aircraft than before the closure. In order to reach Kaliningrad from Russia aircraft need to ply a narrow international corridor westwards between Finland & Estonia. Then a turn due south over the international airspace of the eastern Baltic Sea and into Kaliningrad. Today I saw a Rossiya flight (SDM6333, RA-89148) make this incursion into Estonia airspace.

Interest piqued, I searched the last time this aircraft flew into Kaliningrad. It was 28 January and what do you know, the same too early southerly turn which leads into Estonia. The fact that this happens in close proximity to Estonia’s Amari Air Force Base where NATO planes fly in/out on regular basis is pure coincidence, right? :wink:

Here is the return leg of today’s flight from Kaliningrad. Plane starts straying towards the Latvian coast then executes this neat little turn.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.