I was worried about my Pi in the sky overheating - not this weekend

1 Like

Wow, is that the CPU temperature, what is the ambient temperature?

Geoff

Chilly in the northeast, just for last night and today. Will be in the 40Fs tomorrow though.

Minus 9.9 F - gee that is cold, we complain in UK if it is near that in centigrade.

Geoff

1 Like

It was -31F in the Adirondack mountains this morning (where I grew up). They say you can never take the mountain out of the man. Sorry, it’s quite easy at that temp. Still -24 there at 08:45 ET.

1 Like

I have my Airsquitter (Modified BananaPI) also outdoor.
Once it is getting below freezing point, i am running a process to keep one core busy. That increases the core temperature (and the temperature inside the case) 10°C higher and i can condensation humidity out of the device.

Fors for me the second winter in a row.

2 Likes

I have a Pi 3B running at my office and had a problem with the core constantly sitting at 60C even climbing higher if the office heat was on. It became enough of an issue that the Pi would start behaving erratically. Stopping dump1090 would bring the CPU temperature down. I have copper heat sinks on the critical components but that only goes so far. I finally dug into the old scrap parts bin and found a 12V CPU fan from an old Pentium III CPU. A quick test with 5V USB power showed that it would run fine at 5V though slower and quieter. But it still did the job. I wired it up to an old defective USB to lightning cable I had lying around and it works fine. CPU temperature is usually around 35C now and the fan is perfectly quiet running at less than half its rated voltage. I used some “Fun-Tak” to stick the fan to the Raspberry case.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.