FlightFeeder - weather protecting the feed cable in tropical region

I have a FF ( Gen 7 ) set up.

Located in a very tropical region - lots of sun, rain, temperature and humidity. Getting affordable 50 ohm coax cables is an almost impossibility here.

The coax that came with the FF is a Bieffe 50 ohm CO 100 AF. Am wondering whether there is any way I could weather protect the cable as an extra precaution, to make it last longer.

Or am I being paranoid and these cables are made to withstand all weather extremes.

1 Like

As an option to protect the cable using a corrugated tube.

@rugomol Thank you for your reply. Yep, corrugated tube might be a good way to protect.

May be some HAM forum might have discussed this to death.

The coax its self is both waterproof and UV stable, but any exposed connectors should be given extra care.
I use self amalgamating tape on all outside connections including N-connectors which should be waterproof.

Corrugated tube is easy to work with, but may not last more than a few years out in the sun. Garden hose may last longer or if you have straight runs, then ordinary PVC electrical conduit will provide good armoring (useful if animals chew your cables).

If you need new/replacement coax, then a good quality (satellite TV grade) RG6 is cheap and easy to find. Yes there will be an impedance mismatch (75 vs 50 Ohm), but for a receiver system, the loss is almost insignificant.

In summery, there are lots of things you can do, but probably don’t need to.

@geckoVN . Thanks a lot for the pointers.

Photos below show how member jepolch protected the connectors a of his Spider Antenna from moisture ingress by applying self-fusing/self-bonding/self-amalgamating tape over it.

1 Like

Most of the problems are with water getting into the connectors.

N connectors (the big connector on the antenna) are very good at sealing out water if they are tightly on. There is a torque rating for the connector to be waterproof but usually hand tightening it as much as you can works great.

Using some amalgamating tape is best. People have taken apart connectors with amalgamating tape and they look new after 30+ years.

The smaller SMA connector (found on the FlightFeeder) are not waterproof. They should not get wet.

Usually corrugated tube is used where rodents eat through cables. I have been in cities where tubes are required by building code for all in wall cables because of their rodent problems.

2 Likes