FlightAware MLAT Network Announcement

OK, so #2 and #3, I’m not seeing how they’re related to the issue at hand.

#1 - just about the only thing that can be done in the short run is to scramble the Mode S codes of some aircraft, and even that is a stretch. We’re already not seeing these aircraft anyhow now after this policy change. We’ll all be dead by the time the ICAO could work out how to encrypt everything on 1090 Mhz.

The ADS-B mandates in Europe and the US are actually making these aircraft easier to track, not harder, so things are moving in the opposite direction, believe it or not.

Hi,

any idea when will MLAT be enabled for old feeders FlightFeeder 6.4 or when will old feeders get upgraded to latest version of 7.X

Thanks&Regards,
Kishore.

Mail adsbsupport@flightaware.com for upgrade details. Some types of FlightFeeder cannot be upgraded to 7.x currently (it depends on the particular hardware version)

Guess who has one of the older style FlightFeeders, and just took it apart looking for the MicroSD card to update it? :smiley: 8)

Had a nice email and everything from Mike C , told me what to download, how to extract, when and where to put the SD card… and I have the older style blue and white plastic box instead of the shiny blue metal one :frowning:

That one should be fine to upgrade. You might need a full-sized sdcard rather than a microsdcard.

H4 (the plastic one that you have) can be upgraded.
H5 (rectangular blue/white metal case) can’t (yet)
H6 (square blue/white metal case) can.

Well, I just disassembled and re-assembled it, no SD card in it at all.

There definitely is one in there, the Pi won’t boot without one. If you want to send through some photos to Mike or myself we should be able to point you in the right direction.

It’s this little beauty right here

amazon.ca/FlightFeeder-Netw … B00HLMUXMU

Trying to find reference pictures of the inside now… will add when found.

These look like it… ads-b.ca/fa/index.htm

Picture #4 , with the lights facing me… is that the microSD card in the middle, to the right of the EADC module?

On this photo: ads-b.ca/fa/img_9531.htm
The sdcard is on the right edge, on the back side of the PCB, you can see it sticking out by the “Made in the UK” text. I think there is a microsd to fullsize sdcard adaptor there. (my test unit here is not exactly the same version, it is the version you saw on amazon, with the slot in the case for the sdcard, so I can’t be more precise)

Okay, will try again tomorrow, after I get back from flying. C-GDVH

Found it, fixed it, MLAT’ing now. :smiley:

The card popped out as soon as I took off the plastic wall - it didn’t have the slot for easy access. Mine must have been one of the very early models.

I too just want to make sure I understand the changes…

I currently run the Oliver’s dump1090-mutability fork v1.15~dev (although am considering trying to figure out how to switch to the flightaware form to give it a try).

To share my messages, I run piaware for FlightAware, pfclient for PlaneFinder, and fr24feed for FlightRadar24. I haven’t tried to implement any custom scripts or other packages to try to re-distribute any MLAT information (that I’m aware of). Although the returned MLAT information from FlightAware appears on the internal page fed by dump1090. Am I good to go with this?

Also, does anybody know what the key differences are between Oliver’s dump1090-mutability fork and the FlightAware fork?

Alex

Should be OK; dump1090-mutability is mlat-aware and won’t forward the mlat results back out again.

Also, does anybody know what the key differences are between Oliver’s dump1090-mutability fork and the FlightAware fork?

Mostly just an updated webmap, plus a few packaging differences so that it integrates better with the piaware sdcard. The core is the same.

I won’t enter into a discussion about this decision, and I commend your transparency, however, as a suggestion, how about you publish the block list?

I resume this old post.
Does anyone know how to manipulate the script’s code for adding in the output file a column with the aircraft’s registration?
I know It is taken from the ICAO hex code, but I don’ t know how to do that.

Thanks in advance

Yeah, please don’t do that; create a new topic and describe your question properly (what script?) rather than expecting readers to delve through a long 3-year-old thread.

3 Likes