First time seeing a B-52

But they tend to be more costly in terms of running the hardware :wink:

As an example, running a Pi 24/7 for a year will cost me around 4 euro’s per year in terms of power consumption.
Running the same applications on a desktop pc, even an mini SFF one will cost me 175 euro’s per year. That’s the year cost for an idle PC running 24/7 for a year.
I can run a mulitude of Pi’s for that kind of money.
It’s different everywhere, I realise that but I think about those kind of things prior to running things.

1 Like

OK, you got me there. :joy:

1 Like

That is a lot to pay for electricity! I pay about $2000 a year for electricity with countless computers, laptops, security cams, tablets, cell phones, household appliances and on and on. I live in an all-electric home, so that includes heat and air conditioning, water heater, etc.!

Edit: My mistake. I just calculated my electricity and it’s actually $1128 for the year.

1 Like

In a year I would pay around 1400-1500 euro. Half of that is taxes :sunglasses: average load in my home is 275 watts. Running 5 UPS’es, 7 switches and 19 Pi’s, 10 NAS devices and 7 Windows desktops. So I have to be picky in choosing the right equipment :face_with_monocle::innocent::partying_face:

1 Like

You (or your people) voted for those taxes, now enjoy :wink:

Where I am, because of A/C usage, my house daily average consumption is 38 kWh. I don’t have gas, so cooking, cloth drying, heating in winter is all electric. Also I game now and then, on my PC, with 4K monitor and a power hungry 3080Ti.
That averages 1.58kW load. So whatever 10-20W I use to run the piaware on a laptop is nothing…
There is a nuclear power plant in 8 mile radius from me, and I am paying $0.124/kWh.
This month’s bill was $124, but in July’s heat was $170. Probably about $1700/year.

1 Like

It’s not about money. But i do not want to have yelling devices in my home.
My Home Cloud is already built on a Fujitsu Mini-PC with Quadcore CPU and SSD drive.
I thought about the feed grabbing from my Jetvision device and feed the sites which are not directly supported. However, not all feeders do have an x64 client and it cannot be built from sources.

Still unsure why somebody would have a electricity bill without running a company. But that’S a complete different topic which has nothing to do with a B-52 :wink:

As opposed to stealing electricity? :frowning_face:

I average around 8-9 kWh per day, heating is gaspowered over here. Most extreme use was 19 kWh in a day since I lived in the appartment in the last 6 years

Oh and I didn’t vote on them :rofl: but have to deal with it……:sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks for reminding me. I forgot to include UPS’s and networking equipment. I need to check with my son in law - electrical engineer - how to determine my base use of electricity - that is, without the heavy users like clothes dryer and oven.

2 Likes

My home automation system ( also Pi based) does the monitoring of the use for me, appartement is equipped with smart lighting and is voice controlled in all 7 rooms.

This thread is turning into more of a chat, which is fine with me. I’m enjoying it. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

But that voice obviously doesn’t give you an advice how to save energy :wink:

2 Likes

Oh I did see a airforce tanker today A330 MRT so that is bringing it slightly more in line with the topic. Only saw a B-52 once on the RIAT air show in Fairford UK impressive beast :+1:t2:

Nope, it doesn’t, but to use it as a multi room speaker system instead of a 200w tuner is also a nice feature :wink:, time go get creative sometimes

We had two B 1 Lancer yesterday visiting Germany (Spangdahlem AFB) for doing some tests with a new fuel system.

They are currently on a trip across different european Airports.
But it’s classified as confidential, so no forecast where they will be next.

I’ve just extracted the part from the TV news yesterday. Unfortunately in German…
They visited Spangdahlem to test a joint venture fueling system making them more flexible

1 Like

If it was written, it could be translated by Google/Microsoft.
I think the time will come when they’ll be able to translate video in real time.

Any available speech to text engine can help.

I saw one of those over North Carolina a while back. No idea where it was going. I occasionally see European military transports near me.

Deploying of B-52s, B-2s, B-1s from CONUS to Europe is standard for decades …
Yesterday two Bones landed after a Baltic mission for the very first time at Spang AB for hot pit refueling and testing a new refuelling system called VIPER:

2 Likes

To me, the most interesting aircraft I see flying in my area are the “doomsday” aircraft, like these guys. I have them labeled “interesting” in VRS so they pop up to the top of the list for easy viewing.

1 Like