Ethernet port failure?

Seems the gigabit port on my Rpi went tits up last night. Anyone else seen this happen? Tried replacing the cable and validating the port on the switch was good. Have a replacement board on order.

Comments?

Jim

The ethernet port often seems to be the first casualty if you have lightning or electrostatic damage. Maybe you have static buildup problems on your antenna?

Had a few storms lately. Haven’t grounded the antenna yet. Sounds like next step before I put the new board in.

Seems the gigabit port on my Rpi went tits up last night. Anyone else seen this happen? Tried replacing the cable and validating the port on the switch was good. Have a replacement board on order.

Comments?

Jim

Lost an ethernet port on one of my laptops last year and we presumed it was a surge on the telephone line which also affected our dsl modem.

What about a usb to ethernet adapter? Haven’t used one but see them on Amazon for around $10, and almost took that route to fix mine.

Richard

I had a RPi earlier this year hooked up from my router on a 3 foot cable. I happened to walk by my router in the hallway and I heard something making a cracking sound “like something burning up”. So I got the step stool out and looked at my router. So anyways come to find out that it burned up the LAN port on the Pi. The router was junk, plus it burned out my port one on my 48 port switch in my rack. So I never was able to found out what really caused this issue. But I’m guessing my router did.

Because I have my cable modem on a shelf where my 19 inch rack is. and I have my router in the hallway of my house on a floating shelf. Weird stuff can happen.

I agree with Obj,

Just run a grounding wire from the shield of your downlead as a minimum.

“shield of downlead?” Is a RG6 grounding block adequate?

Would be the proper solution - since that also includes a gas discharge device - so should the core of the cable hold a high voltage with respect to the shield, it would strike to remove the charge.