Electrionics in flight

Why can’t you use electronic devices on airliners when you are taking off/climbing v. at your cruising altitude?

Because everything electrical emits some sort or radio interference. Just to be safe, they don’t allow anything below 10,000 feet, so that there isn’t a chance of interfering with the navigational equipment.

Ok, but they still need the equipment above Fl10. Always thought that it was just a spoof. Like to get you to use thier sky phones.

Above 10,000, having a sterile cockpit is not as important. The last thing you want, though, is to be on final approach, in poor conditions, and all the sudden the ILS instruments start deviating because of electronic interference. Sure, it’s probably a one-in-a-million occurrence, but that is what has been said about other crashes that have ended up killing hundreds.

Ah I see. Basically means that I woln’t be taking any pics below 10,000ft.

Technically. :wink:

Look on a.net, and you will see hundreds of photos during takeoff and landing. What does it mean? You can take photos as long as the flight attendants don’t see. Is this right? No, but a lot of people do it anyway.

Unless youre shooting film from an old-school mechanical-wind camera!
(there is much debate over whether or not still cameras really ‘count’ when they tell you to turn off electrical equipment… when in doubt dont let them see…if they see you, put it away, dont be an ass.)

Actually, they’re more concerned about items like cameras, Walkmans, etc. and other unsecured items becoming unguided missiles in the cabin in the case of “an emergency”.

COME ON PEOPLE!!! I GO OUT OF TOWN ONE WEEKEND AND THIS IS WHAT I COME BACK TO???

I expected to see at least THREE Alitalia slams/jokes on this thread.

You know who you are…you let me down!

It was on-topic until you posted.

I would call that 1/2 a slam.

Ohhhhhh…look who is trying to wear the big-boy pants…

OK, for the “back on topic post”…

I called a friend who is also a pilot for AA. Yes, there is the electrnic inteference “fear”, but it is also for safety. If you think about it, the two times emergencies are most likely to occur that need EXTREME quick responses, and, because those are the two situations that the aircraft is more prone to possible problems that can be difficult to get out of, it makes it a lot easier for the FAs to get people who do NOT have thier ipods, laptops, portable DVD players blaring in their ears to listen.

That back on topic enough for you?

Freaking “topic keeping nazi*”…

*DISCLAIMER!!! This is in reference to the Seinfeld soup nazi style of order…in no way would I ever literally mean Nazi…well, that is unless you are narrow minded and pathetic enough to call yourself one.

Gotcha! :wink:

Yep he’s deffientally back! :smiling_imp:

Back and sunburnt to a crisp!!! Oh well, I have enough Indian blood that the burn will be a nice dark tan in about two days…

Crap…back off topic…

Also, since I think dami fell off into the bay…WHY DID YOU PUT THIS HERE??? What does this have to do with notable activity? Wouldn’t you put this under Airlines, or even General???

Man, looks like I can never go out of town for a weekend again…can’t leave you kids alone for 5 minutes…

Its the weekend, we all know what Dami is doing…It makes me shudder just thinking about it.

Thanks a lot…you just ruined what was left (15 minutes before I collapse) of my weekend with that…

You owe me a free ride in the bird…

You keep this up and you are never going to pay us all off…

What? Blowing up his doll?

Actually, given his locale, he’s probably blowing up one of those inflatable sheep or pigs we saw on Castro St. in SF!

Speaking of weekends…when you heading back this way?

It’s so that the interference from your walkman, camera or PDA will not cause the engines of Alitalia airliners in the vicinity of the airport to shutdown completely! Once you’re at 10,000 feet, you’re far away enough from Alitalia traffic not cause any disturbance to their fragile equipment.

FINALLY!!! FREAKING TOOK LONG ENOUGH!

Knew I could count on you NeedeNose (well, second to dami, but he is with his doll…)

Hey now, I would have injected an Alitalia punchlne into the fray, but that horse is AT BEST on life support. :wink:

BTW: Out of all the Alitalia slams, I firmly believe mine to be the funniest yet. 8) ptthhhhhhhhhhpt!!! (that’s supposed to be the sound of the “raspberries”)