Effects of Tesla Solar roof on ADSB reception

Had my concrete tile torn off on 3/13-14 and a bit later the solar roof started getting installed. Being that my antenna is in my attic and these are glass with metal lining as well as metal tiles, I figured there would be an impact on my reception and I was correct.

95% of the roof is installed, but the system is not yet energized, so I am curious if any of the DC output will further impact the performance of my site.

Just found it interesting.

1 Like

Just looking at your graph, you have about 50% drop in the positions. Frankly, better than I suspected. All of that is shielding. It probably depends a bit on where the antenna is at vs where your Tesla panels are located.

I looked into the Tesla Panels, and the DC wiring under the panels should not be a problem . The Inverter changing DC from panels or batteries into AC will likely be the problem area for interference. Our AC power is a 60Hz sine wave. Inverters switch the power in microsecond steps to replicate sine waves, but those steps can cause interference to any Radio Frequency system like sensitive receivers. The inverter probably has some fancy documentation about the RF radiation levels, but likely not helpful to evaluate the impact on your reception.

I know you have considered attic vs outside and shielding the Pi/receiver already. No way to see how it may impact you until they turn it all on and you evaluate the impact. Have fun figuring it out and solar can be very nice to have. Had a 5.2 KW system near a receiver in New Mexico, though not on the roof. Best wishes on clear signals.

These aren’t really the normal panels, it’s the solar roof, so the tiles are the panels.

It’s better than I expected as well. Just under 36kW system, so most of the panels are active (almost 500 of them). The inverters are going to be in the garage which is a decent distance from the antenna, but we will see.

2 Likes