Dump1090 Crashing

I’ve just done a completely clean reimage and continue to have this intermittent issue where the GUI says:

"Problem fetching data from dump1090.
AJAX call failed (error: Not Found). Maybe dump1090 is no longer running?
The displayed map data will be out of date.”

I had the same issue previously, but thought an update might have gotten screwed up. So, I’ve now done a new image install and am having the same issue.

I’m looking through logs and see:
Jul 27 13:04:11 piaware dump1090-fa[15186]: Mon Jul 27 13:04:11 2020 UTC dump1090-fa 3.8.1 starting up.
Jul 27 13:04:11 piaware dump1090-fa[15186]: rtlsdr: no supported devices found.
Jul 27 13:04:11 piaware systemd[1]: dump1090-fa.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jul 27 13:04:11 piaware systemd[1]: dump1090-fa.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.

But, everything appears to be working correctly right now…but then later it seems to crash in to the GUI. Have not yet been able to login to console to check status when it crashed in the GUI.

I have a regular Raspberry Pi 3b+ and the FlightAware Pro Stick Plus ADS-B USB Receiver with Built-in Filter.

Probably a bad power supply.

If you use a good power supply and it keeps happening, the Stick is likely dying.

I have a good power supply.

The stick is only slightly more than a year old…that’s kind of frustrating if it really is dying.

Try another USB socket.

Check the power anyhow:

sudo dmesg --ctime | grep voltage

If you’re using an USB extension, that can also be an issue.

Mine is a year old now and since 8 months it is operating outside.
It’s still working without issues.

But electronic devices are sometimes dying for no reason, these are mass products

There is no output when running that command.

pi@piaware:~ $ sudo dmesg --ctime | grep voltage
pi@piaware:~ $

Should have mentioned that there is no obvious under-voltage.

this is interesting, when i run
sudo dmesg --ctime | grep voltage
i get the same output (nothing) that mloiterman gets

That is a good result. That command is searching for errors which were logged indicating a low voltage condition. No results = no low voltage problem (since last reboot or so, anyway)

thank you for the reply. it makes sense since there was no problem (too bad it can’t say that!)

thanks for the quick reply. it makes sense (sort of ) but too bad it can’t say “no problem”

I am sure that someone could write a script to wrap around it, but what it is doing is asking for a list of any entries in the log that contain the word “voltage” (that’s what ‘grep’ does).

If it finds that word, it returns a list of every time it appears, and if it doesn’t find it, it returns an empty list - i.e. nothing.

So it makes sense if you have a little background in what the command is supposed to do, but maybe not so much if you are just coming across it in a forum.

I answered but failed to write the correct sentence, thanks for explaining.

And I just noticed that I left a whole word out of that sentence - off to edit!

I’m having the same issue, and the crash is causing a gap in coverage which is quite noticeable. I haven’t done a re-image yet, but I was just about ready to until I saw this post. image

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.