FApro stick antenna @ 57m amsl
10m coax
rtl triple filter amp
sdr-rtl v3 W bias tee
rpi3
gain running at 36.4

@suffolk3000

Many thanks.
I’ve not been on the forum for several months but can see that enabling bias tee on the sdr-rtl v3 has been a headache. How did you solve it?

Its so easy
Follow this

This is how I solved the problem:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-10MHz-3000MHz-3GHz-Radio-Frequency-Transformer-Bias-Feeder-Bias-Tee/282678674779?hash=item41d0f6455b:g:D5YAAOSwShFZzvEN

Yes a good option for all flightaware dongles

Could someone please help, I have a very strong ADBS signal but also very strong TV/cell frequencies, would a filter be recommended?

Thanks

I would say that a filter would help.
All those foreign signals arrive at the radio front end and diminish the sensibility to further-away signals on you desired band (1090MHz). It’s better to eliminate them before they reach your tuner.

YES. As your scan shows presence of strong TV and Cell/Mobile signal, a filter between antenna and the dongle (dvbt/pro stick) will help.

The filter will eliminate/reduce strong interfering signals existing at your location. This will reduce overload of dongle by the cell/mobile/tv signals, and will improve performance.

Hmm. It’s been awhile since I’ve messed with my feeder setup and admittedly I haven’t done hardly any optimizations. For grins and giggles I generated one of those frequency graphs and was surprised at the results even with the FA filter there seems to be a lot of other noise still making it through. Some of it will probably be hard to filter out as the city/county 911 comm center and antennas are maybe 1.5-2 miles from my house at the most.

My current setup which has the antenna in the attic of our detached garage goes like this:

FA 26" antenna → N-male to SMA-male 6" pigtail → FA filter → 25’ (8m) coax → FA orange prostick → RPi 2.

I’m going to try and generate another graph in a day or two when I can do it closer to when there’s peak traffic in this area.

(1) Do another scan after removing the FA filter and compare above scan with it to find how much interference the FA filter has removed.

(2) If you want almost complete removal of interference, add a cavity or ceramic filter.

Hi Gazman, the FA filter will only drown out noise in the 800-880 range if you want to eliminate the cell tower noise in the 900 range i found that a saw filter did the trick. Actually the saw filter drowned out the 800 noise aswell and it was only 16 pounds for the filter. See other posts above for the filter 9 ADS-B 1090MHz Filter | RTL-SDR | eBay

OK guys, I swear I know how to use a search engine, but I can’t seem to figure out how to manually change the gain? I went into /etc/init.d/ but there is no fadump1090.sh file to edit… The only thing I could find was in /etc/default - a file called ‘dump1090-fa’ - I edited it, even though the comments say that it will be overwritten in a reboot.

Anyone else think it should be easier to see the current gain you’re using, say on the local webpage? Am I missing something that easy?

(in other words, I don’t have a PROD_ARGS field to edit, it seems, yet somehow dump1090-fa does indeed start automatically at reboot, even though I don’t see where in /etc/init.d it is told to do so)

There are different method to manually change gain depending on type of install as follows:

• Piaware SD card image
  • Raspbian image with dump1090-fa package install
  • Raspbian image with dump1090-mutability package install.

All three are described here:

For Beginners: How to Change / Set Gain

1 Like

Unbelievable that your thread didn’t show up in any of my searches like “how to manually set gain” - thanks as always abcd567!

It is started by dump1090-fa.service file, by the line starting with ExecStart=.

$ cat /lib/systemd/system/dump1090-fa.service

# dump1090-fa service for systemd

[Unit]
Description=dump1090 ADS-B receiver (FlightAware customization)
Documentation=https://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/
Wants=network.target
After=network.target

[Service]
EnvironmentFile=/etc/default/dump1090-fa
EnvironmentFile=-/var/cache/piaware/location.env
User=dump1090
RuntimeDirectory=dump1090-fa
RuntimeDirectoryMode=0755
ExecStart=/usr/bin/dump1090-fa \
 $RECEIVER_OPTIONS $DECODER_OPTIONS $NET_OPTIONS $JSON_OPTIONS $PIAWARE_DUMP1090_LOCATION_OPTIONS \
 --write-json /run/dump1090-fa --quiet
Type=simple
Restart=on-failure
RestartSec=30
Nice=-5

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target

This file is symlinked to another file as shown below:

$ ls -l /etc/systemd/system/default.target.wants/dump1090-fa.service
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 39 Jul 29 10:48 /etc/systemd/system/default.target.wants/dump1090-fa.service -> /lib/systemd/system/dump1090-fa.service

Yes, and even the SAW filters have different bandwidths, depending on who makes them, and/or how they were designed.

I don’t know how much we can trust eBay specs, but some vendors include plots. If they are real, you can see the different bandwidths available.

Cascading filters is another possibility.

Lastly, there is the RTL-SDR Blog pre-amp/filter combo. It’s a triple filter design.

SAW filter fitted, massive difference, now just to play with gain to find best settings

1 Like

Textbook ‘beauty’.:wink:

1 Like

ive been running FA pro plus on 2 different computers and i tried option 2 above and followed it to the T. On my desktop computer when i click rtlpan, a window opens and closes right away and thats it (desktop is xp pro sp3 32 bit). On my laptop when i try to run rtlpan i get “this app cant run on your pc” (win 10 home 64 bit) so i tried using the 3 files from the 64 bit folder above instead of 32 bit and it still didntr work. Both machines have zadig 2.4 and both run the flightaware dongle with dump1090 and Virtual Radar. Also i had all programs closed before trying to run rtlpan…any ideas what im doin wrong??? Thanks

(1) The rtlpan.exe may not be compatible with Win 10

(2) Zadig Version 2.4 is NOT compatible with Win XP.
Use zadig_xp_2.2.exe

On main download page, click other versions

http://zadig.akeo.ie

Zadig-for-XP

Other Version’s download page:

http://zadig.akeo.ie/downloads

1 Like