Do I Need A Filter?

well i put 2.2 into my xp machine and it still closes a second after i click rtlpan…i know the driver works cause i can open hdsdr and see it working and tune around and get signals on 1090mhz…so who knows

just to be sure you used the version zadig_xp ?

yeah…apparently i already had ver 2.2 in my xp cause it asked to ‘reinstall’ the driver and the driver number matched what i already had in xp so i just reinstalled the same driver…i guess i put 2.4 on my win 10 only

om my xp…i can run dump1090 and get a bunch of planes and they show up in virtual radar with no problem so im guessing the driver is the right one

i can always just watch the waterfall in hdsdr but the bandwidth limit in the waterfall i think is 2mhz…itll work but just takes a lot longer…lol

what i mean even version 2.2 has 2 versions the one for xp and then another one.

the filename needs to have xp in it.

yep…zadig_xp_2.2.exe

@venom6733

It seems rtlpan did not get installed properly. Either installation gone wrong, or the downloaded installation file is corrupted.

1. Uninstall rtlpan
  2. Delete the downloaded installation file
  3. Download fresh copy of installation file rtlpan.exe
  4. Reinstall rtlpan using freshly downloaded file.
1 Like

well i unplugged the FA dongle and just deleted everything out of the RF folder i made so i can start all over again and it wont let me delete rtlpan.exe…says another program is using it. So i restarted my puter and still cant delete it and i cant find it in the task manager to kill it so who knows (dongle is still unplugged)…any idea what the name of it would be to find it in the processes in task manager???

I tried to run rtlpan on my windoze 7x64 and nagged about no scan.csv found
and terminated. so then created and saved in the same folder an empty scan.csv .
program started working normally after that.

FWIW I followed instruction from here

mine just opens for a second then closes and thats it

ive restarted 3 times and still cant kill it…i hope it isnt a virus or something

try to kill the process in task manager (start → run → taskmgr.exe), if that fails reboot.

i dont know what the name is in taskmanager…theres no rtlpan.exe in there and ive rebooted 3 times

sorry, but then, what are you trying ‘to kill’ ?

ED1 : here works ok on my vmware xp2 vm. (same for modesdeco2 for xp, used zadig 2.2.xp)

ED2: this is how it shows in task manager (if same program…)

Today I did two more graphs and the first looked almost identical to the one I posted before but the second without the filter showed how much it is blocking. With my current setup and where my antenna is located I’m not sure I can improve my performance much. I would love to know how a guy who feeds from this area manages to get 2.5x the aircraft and 10x the messages a day that I do. Guessing he was able to get his antenna up on a mast/tower and isn’t stuck in a valley surrounded by trees.

Ive 2 locals I have communicated with and we have similar set up yet they out run me by 100 airplanes and 100k to 200k more messages. Its weird. I, however did not ask them how much of a run they have on coax. That might be my next trick is go to mast mounted receiver set up.

1 Like

Antenna height above obstacles (all the way to horizon) is the main factor. Gain adjust is second, if you live in an area close of one of the major air ways (lots of planes close-by).
Leafs… the fall and winter takes care of them temporarily :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is worth increasing height of antenna to bring it above the surrounding obstructions (tall trees, tall houses etc), so that it can “see” the horizon in all or most directions.

Any increase of antenna height beyond this point gives very little gain in range, with un-proportionately high cost & effort to raise the antenna.

CLICK ON IMAGE TO SEE LARGER SIZE

CLICK ON IMAGE TO SEE LARGER SIZE

1 Like

In your drawings the tree are baby-trees :joy:

An observation at the second pic, at “maximum range case-1”. See that there is a distance (at the antenna’s horizon) where even small obstacles obscure some the reaching distance, due to geometry. Usually the distances are much more different in ratio (in my case is 250:9 miles), so the pic doesn’t show the whole aspect.

It is maybe worth to raise slightly more the antenna than just the closest obstacles; but I agree, there will be diminishing returns.
BTW, I find this calculator very useful, to find quickly the distances to horizon or line of sight.