Filter Attachment + Blue Pro Dongle. Is this recommended?

I am currently using a blue pro dongle+ filter attachment. Is it necessary to use the filter since the blue dongle has a built in filter? Thanks

It’s highly location dependent, so there is no universal answer.

Usually the question is asked the other way around [Should I buy … ], but as you already have it, try removing it and see what that does to your stats.

3 Likes

s @geckoVN already stated it depends on your setup and your environment. An additional filter can help, but not in all circumstances.
I also have the blue dongle and additional the FA filter (dark blue) between the stick and the antenna. It “feels” that i have a marginal improvement, but so far i cannot find evidences. I am able to increase the gain, but the long term values are pretty similar to the ones without filter

There’s one thread available wit lots of information to read:

1 Like

Additional note:

I removed my filter yesterday for testing purposes and did not reattach it so far.
From the graphs you will not identify the time i removed it.

1 Like

Thanks for all the responses and the assistance. I am based in downtown Hong Kong not too far from HKIA but figured I would need a filter due to close proximity with other high-rises, phone antennas etc.

I have ordered a FA external antenna (currently using a magnetic one) and might test that with and without the filter once it arrives. I switched to the Blue Pro dongle yesterday (thanks to Eric Matthews) and am already seeing a huge improvement from the generic blue $7 dongle that I was using.

1 Like

This can be a reason for an additional filter. Friend of mine in the middle of Vienna has a bad reception because of such an environment

As expected
A generic stick does not have a filter an LNA for the specific ADS-B frequency

1 Like

Yes this is why I ordered the filter. Thanks again for the assist. :+1:

In HK, I would suggest using the FA ‘dark blue’ filter instead of the FA ‘light blue’ one.

3 Likes

:+1: :+1: :+1:

Mobile Cell Phone Frequencies Close to 1090 and 978 MHz

To remove GSM900 interference, use Dark Blue “1090 MHz Only” filter.

2 Likes

Thanks. I might order one of these and give it a try.

Is this the right one?
https://www.moonraker.eu/adsb-filter

That is the wrong one (light blue).

This is the right one (dark blue):

1 Like

The light blue one can work, but i would invest in the new dark blue one.as abcd567 mentioned

1 Like

Apparently some sellers might not have updated the image.
If you want to order with them for some reason, maybe check?

The bandpass in the description hints towards the new filter (well actually the band pass in the description somehow is narrower than even he new filter so … i wouldn’t rely on that).

1 Like

The interesting fact is that the light blue shown above also has 1090Mhz printer on it’s sticker.
I can remember that the light blue was for 978 and 1090MHz combined.
Maybe an interim release from FA?

1 Like

Old stock or old photo; we updated the label on that filter at around the time we introduced the narrower (dark blue) filter.

2 Likes

Thanks guys. I sent them an email as this is the only store of the two that would ship to Hong Kong. Lets hope they have the right product as I have the light blue one.

I got this from the OFTA which is an update on the frequencies used here in HKG (Updated April 2020)

@HottubCowboy
Accolrding to OFTA (Office of the Telecommunications Authority) notification you have posted, HK has GSM900. You will need Dark Blue Filter.

Why dont you run an RF Scan to see what Mobile Phone signals are picked by your antenna & dongle?

Guide to conduct RF Scan is given in this post:

Do I Need A Filter?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.