Diamond Twin Stars

I live close to Southend Airport Essex UK. Daily there are DTS overflying the airport usually on the same track as the runway. Does anyone know why? or where they come from?

I’ve done some research and the only that could relate is that the DTS’s belong to DiamondUK. They fly delivery flights from Austria’s production factory to DiamondUK’s HQ in Yorkshire. Some stop at Southend for fuel, but the ones that overfly the airport are (my guess) either familiarization flights for new DTS pilots or DTS’s on delivery flights. Hope that helped.

Thanks for that. These flights are literally every day. I can’t work out why they would use southend? They must be selling a lot ofthem!

Well dont you want one?? Name a light twin as beautiful??

:open_mouth:

ANY other light twin! Honest to God… looks like I could break it in half over my knee.

Sailplanes with an inferiority complex have no respect from me…

[edit] Just saw your screen name, I was being sarcastic, no offense.

No offense taken but name a better light twin don’t just say “any one” . I would like to know an actual aircraft that is better in your eyes

Beech Baron- (even though the price tag is higher, it is faster, has a better rate of climb, more payload (6 seats), higher celing, better HP from its engines, althought the Baron doesn’t have as much range (1109nm) as the DTS (around 1200nm), it still offers as many features (such as G1000) as the DTS does. Plus, with Beechcraft’s excellent production record, and the fact that pretty much any A&P mechanic can work on one, you know that when you buy one, you will get your money’s worth.

Sorry, I have nothing against Diamonds, I’ve flown the 40 and 42 and was blown away by both! Visibility, avionics, systems… outstanding

However… In my eyes… I think the DA42 is not best suited as a twin trainer which appears to be it’s latest niche. The canopy/cabin layout, airframe, systems and avionics suite doesn’t represent what a low time ME student pilot should be training in if they’re chasing a commercial career. An old Seminole or Seneca type trainer represents what the type of equipment the pilot should expect to be flying in their first job. The jump from a DA42 (FADEC, G1000, next generation stuff) to say a Navajo or even up to a KIng Air (steam gauges, fuel injection, carburetors, or God forbid turbines, etc) would be a great culture shock when it comes to real-world systems and avionics. Perhaps the technology jump should occur later?

As a personal A/C I think the DA42 is a great choice! Except for those engine and maintenance issues…

Again, sorry for the sarcasm, I love what the airplane represents but maybe not how it’s being used.

PS I fly with EFIS on the job and when I get in my lowly Cherokee for a joy ride it’s a lot tougher to keep ahead of things… even at a quarter of the airspeed. And don’t get me started on light twins I’m passionate about, that could take awhile! :smiley:

I would like to add Pkm188’s opinion to my above post. :wink:

I like TwinStars don’t get me wrong, but as phantom put it, It’s not top dog. Even a new Bonanza or a Mooney could give the DTS a run for it’s money.

Again, I agree…

But my point was that the DA42 is not best as an initial twin trainer (which it seems to have been relegated too for some reason) in my opinion. Maybe I’m just sentimental or an Old Fart. Hehhh!! Damn kids.

Great private plane… except for a few issues… :smiley:

Wish there were more companies doing what Diamondstar has done (even with the problems out of their control). Much respect.

Beech Baron- (even though the price tag is higher, it is faster, has a better rate of climb, more payload (6 seats), higher celing, better HP from its engines, althought the Baron doesn’t have as much range (1109nm) as the DTS (around 1200nm), it still offers as many features (such as G1000) as the DTS does. Plus, with Beechcraft’s excellent production record, and the fact that pretty much any A&P mechanic can work on one, you know that when you buy one, you will get your money’s worth.

Haha I would hope it would have a better rate of climb and payload. We are comparing a plane with 300 hp per engine to a plane with 270 total! Thats why you get more than double the fuel burn! At 75% power 32gph vs 12gph. I know a lot of you older dudes would prefer older aircraft because youve grown up with them. But throwing a G1000 in to a plane from the 60’s doesn’t make up for its dated looks and construction. Yes it is a tried and tested aircraft but its just too old for the modern world. I think the delivery numbers tell a good story from 2005 to 2008 since the twin star has been produced the Baron has had 144 deliveries vs 497!! and that number would of been higher since production was suspended early in 08 due to thielert issues.

Two great Aircraft

1 for the 21 century
http://www.flysummit.net/pub/aircraft/ic_1219772410_500x400_true.jpg

and 1 from back in time
http://www.users.bigpond.com/HEMPELSAVIATION/baron1.jpg

Anybody know about the new engines? Or what might be in store to somebody owning one with the Thielerts? I think the DA42 would be a good trainer for moving up to a light jet like a Cessna Citation.

On another note, I don’t think comparing the DA42 to a B58 is fair. Also I don’t know anyone that will get into either and fly 1,000nm+ very often if ever.

Anybody know about the new engines? Or what might be in store to somebody owning one with the Thielerts?

Well the new Austro AE300 which is almost like the thielert , has an iron block vs aluminum on the TAE so its heavier but does make more power. It has received a type certificate for the twin star in Europe so a few months down the road north american owners will be able to get them retrofitted on to there existing thielert powered planes. There is also a new av gas option that is soon to be certified here with the Lycoming IO-360 . Thielert owners can also swap the lycoming in too.

very nice aircraft